TV/Movies Chat

Re: TV/Movies Chat

Postby honeyphan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:45 pm

LiP - before the previews started, my son said,- "they better have the intro like they did, and show the Star Wars logo, or it won't be the same" - lol He was worried that with the progression of time they might have dispensed with that. Needless to say, he was very pleased. ;-)

Our theaters are so cool- we get to pick where we sit when we get tickets and every four rows up, there is a row of reclining chairs (you push a button and it goes a bit back - the back of it- and the bottom comes up to rest your feet. So cool- needless to say we got those and it was so comfortable. :) Really helped the whole movie experience to have all that leg room and have legs up like in an easy chair, with other theater goers easily able to walk past (and not need to put chairs down)! I mention this because the theater went through a whole redo- it was not like this even as much as a year ago...I wonder if all Rave theaters will do that?

Okay, my thoughts... (in case not everyone here has seen it yet, I'm putting them in spoilers)

Spoiler:
1) sorry Han had to die- he carried the movie and brought the past into the present for the new characters - a good bridge to that. With Luke, we saw what, five minutes of him? (That much? lol) And I never was a Princess Leah fan, so was not that impressed with her as a whole, though it was nice to see her again. :) Also to know that her son is the new Darth Vader was pretty cool.

2) Not sure how I feel about Rae - my youngest didn't like her, said she felt too much like a Mary Sue character (knowing things she would have no way of knowing and fighting like a Jedi knight though she was never trained) but I'm willing to suspend disbelief until I hear her story (hopefully will come out in the 2nd of this trilogy). With her visions of past and future, I'm willing to bet she is Luke's daughter, was trained in the force, and for whatever reason (mind wiped?) forgot all of that. He obviously abandoned her when nephew Ben (who I think it was) turned on him and went to the dark side, killing all the new apprentices in training, and perhaps whoever had her in their care had her memories taken (to protect her, since she was Luke's daughter) or maybe she was in an accident or has selective amnesia or something. That is the only thing that would make sense that she could go up against the new villain (even one wounded) and win that fight!

3) I like the new villain - Ben Solo (forgot his dark force name - Kylo?) and how he's struggling with light and dark - wanting to walk in his grandfather's shoes, but the light is still trying to claim him. That shows me from the beginning he is redeemable and yet, that he killed his father and did not turn when Rae (his cousin?) was enticing him to the light is good conflict for this early in the trilogy. He is pretty explosive and erratic in feelings, but he is very young and also it's a good guess he felt abandoned by his father, which would help stir all that.
This makes for great character development and the chance to do something really deep with this character - he seems to have the acting abilities to pull it off. (for some reason he reminded me of a young Sherlock).
And yes, Anakin Skywalker was/is my favorite character of Star Wars. ;-)

4) Liked Po and Fin- nice to see the guy from Heroes in there too! :D ( Me and my youngest have been watching the seasons again as a refresh before starting Heroes Reborn, and Matt was one of my favorite characters from that.)

5) There was a lot of fighting, but it felt necessary to story, not just added in there, so it all worked, especially for this adventure movie.

6) That new little robot is cute

That's all I can really think of, for now...
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Postby honeyphan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:02 pm

Godzuki wrote:Just saw Star Wars , loved it! :clap: :clap: Much better than the prequels, but not quite as magical as Epis 4-6 (the original trilogy) IMO, but pretty darn close. People were clapping and cheering all the way through, that really added to the fun, since I don’t normally hear that at the movies. Does anyone want to talk about it? If its too soon (DO NOT READ MY SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE OR YOU WILL HUNT ME DOWN AND KILL ME! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :P ):

Spoiler:
I really missed Ben Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin as Force "ghosts" or spirit guides or whatever they're called. I do hope they make their appearance next movie since they talk with Luke a lot and he showed up at the end!!!!! Wasn't that the coolest to see him again!!!!!!! Oh I hope, I hope, I hope!

Luke is Rey's father right? He has to be! Jakku is like Tatooine, she was an orphan, the Force is strong in her, she looks like Padme/Leia (family resemblance), great pilot, good. And that look Luke gives her when he sees her!!! What do you think?

Does Ben know who she really is? Do you think he will be like his grandfather and find redemption or is he the bad guy? and WHO was that Voldemort/new Emperor guy? They didn't really explain him at all, but thats how the Emp started out in the other movies, so I'm sure we'll learn more as we go along

When will R2D2 get fed up with C3PO and leave him for good? :rofl:

Spoiler:
Oh - I hope hope hope they get Christian H. to reprise the role of Anakin again! That would be so cool to see him!! Maybe, in a redemptive move in a later movie, he can visit his grandson and give him a sound verbal thrashing. ;-)

Yeah, they are really laying it on thick that she is his daughter - but did you notice as she held the sabre out, it almost looked offensive, like she was ready to turn it on, instead of her handing it to him. lol Could it be possible that she did not know that Luke Skywalker and her father were the same man? As a child, she was pretty young when he left. Maybe that was kept from her and she never knew his true identity as a famous Jedi knight - though I hope that she was trained and just forgot, for reasons I have mentioned before.

Yeah, it was nice to see R2 and C3PO again too.
honeyphan

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Well Honey, so far I think we've all been happy with the Star Wars resurrection. Time will tell if we get more answers and what the solutions will be. I suppose this series could happily continue for many generations :)

I mentioned before that I wanted to see it one more time, DD was here and one of first things she said was that she and her other half were going to go again, apparently I wasn't the only one.

One bit of ulterior motive for movie viewing is our new theater complex five minutes from my house. And like yours Honey it has reclining seats with oodles of leg/walking space; all seats are chosen when you purchase ticket. Even better is the "wait on you service while in your seat, including booze!" I'm afraid to ask what the newest service might be, I have visions of Sweet Young Things lined up next to a curtained couch....... :rofl:
lifeinparadise1

Postby honeyphan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:41 am

Well, I finally caught up on OUAT again.

One thing I will say- I love the helping-the-damned-find-their-peace storylines. Saving the lost souls, helping them achieve their unfinished business and watching them go to their eternal reward. Loved how they slipped Hercules in there and am curious to see who will be next to save.

I don't like the set color though- all that red/orange/gray of the damned Storybrooke puts me on edge. But I know it's necessary to depict Hades.

And poor Hook! This season is definitely not for the kiddies, and I noticed so far the ratings are all TV14 - which is TV's R.

Am really enjoying it though...
honeyphan

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:45 pm

I loved The Force Awakens movie and am eagerly waiting for The Last Jedi to come out this Christmas! :yay:

On my first view of the film I thought for sure that Rey would end up being Luke's daughter, but I am not so sure now. Having re-watched the original trilogy (ep. 4-6) I tend to think that Rey could actually be more related to Obi-wan Kenobi. Both Obi-wan and Rey (when we first see them in their respective movies) are living alone on an isolated desert planet (Luke at least had his "uncle" and "aunt"). Both characters end up saving a droid from those who wish to destroy it/obtain the message each one carried that would aid the Rebel Alliance/ Resistance. Plus both characters always would tell those they were with to "never lose hope". I know it's probably a stretch to think Obi-wan had a granddaughter (Rey), but I found those parallels in their characters interesting. If they do make Rey Luke's daughter, however, like a lot of the fans seem to assume they will--I personally think it would be a waste (since for the audience it would be predictable)...and not have that shock-factor that always comes with the second films of the trilogies.

I loved the character of Rey though regardless of her parentage!

Kylo-Ren really intrigued me when I first watched the movie (and still does ;) ). When he first showed up on screen at the beginning of the movie when he killed Tekka and captured Poe and stops the shot from Poe's blaster in mid air with the Force...I got goosebumps! Just his presence/ costume/ body language was so menacing!!! :fence: He really reminded me of someone else that also had that persona about him. ;) I also see him being redeemed by the end of the trilogy as well...perhaps with Rey's help.

I was going to make a separate thread about the parallels at least that I see in their characters and E & C. Unless, I should discuss it here???
"I am not really wicked, love me and you will see!
All I wanted was to be loved for myself..."
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby Rose » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm

Oh you're all talking Star Wars, their was a time when I was really into Star Wars for a while, but over the years I've sort of lost interest, I haven't even gotten around to seeing the new films yet, lol

But (keeping in mind that I haven't seen the news films) with regards to the parallels of SW/POTO, I will say this,...I see it most strongly in Anakin's story. His fall into darkness, and his redemption through love, although in Anakin's case it was the love of his Son that saved and redeemed him. The name 'Luke' even means 'bringer of light', etc, much like Christine, Luke serves as the character that never stops trying to save :) If you want to do a whole thread discussing the similarities ThePhantomsSiren, I'd definitely start with Anakin's story...he even ends up disfigured like Erik, lol ;)

But *coughdon'tshootmecough* changing subject...is anyone here a Jane Eyre fan?

In a moment of spontaneous impulse I've recently binged on my collection of Jane Eyre films, lol I'd forgotten how much I love Jane/Rochester. Charlotte Bronte will forever be a literary favorite of mine for creating that story :love: :)
Rose

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:38 pm

Rose wrote:Oh you're all talking Star Wars, their was a time when I was really into Star Wars for a while, but over the years I've sort of lost interest, I haven't even gotten around to seeing the new films yet, lol

But (keeping in mind that I haven't seen the news films) with regards to the parallels of SW/POTO, I will say this,...I see it most strongly in Anakin's story. His fall into darkness, and his redemption through love, although in Anakin's case it was the love of his Son that saved and redeemed him. The name 'Luke' even means 'bringer of light', etc, much like Christine, Luke serves as the character that never stops trying to save :) If you want to do a whole thread discussing the similarities ThePhantomsSiren, I'd definitely start with Anakin's story...he even ends up disfigured like Erik, lol ;)

I recommend seeing the new ones Rose, they seem like they will be just as classic as the originals.
That's true, Anakin does share a few parallels with Erik as well.

But *coughdon'tshootmecough* changing subject...is anyone here a Jane Eyre fan?

In a moment of spontaneous impulse I've recently binged on my collection of Jane Eyre films, lol I'd forgotten how much I love Jane/Rochester. Charlotte Bronte will forever be a literary favorite of mine for creating that story :love: :)

I LOVE Jane Eyre....it has been and probably will always be one of my favorite literary classics! :hearts:
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby Rose » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:58 am

ThePhantomsSiren Wrote

I recommend seeing the new ones Rose, they seem like they will be just as classic as the originals.

Oh I'll end up checking them out eventually, and when I do I promise I'll get back to you with my thoughts ;)

I LOVE Jane Eyre....it has been and probably will always be one of my favorite literary classics! :hearts:

Yeah! :yay: Haha, I don't know what your experiences are but it seems most people I know tend to prefer Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights', while I personally am a Charlotte Bronte girl through and through and Jane Eyre is my tops on the Bronte List (sorry Heathcliff, but give me Edward Rochester any day lol :P)

We all know nothing tops the novel, but have you seen any of the Movie Adaptions? 8-)

I own three, but I think I've seen just about all of them ever made, lol. Much like POTO when I fell in love with the story I wanted to hunt down every version, and again like POTO, some adaptions were awful, while others were awesome. 8-)

The three I own, which are also my top 3 adaptions:

The 1943 Film: Starring Orson Wells as Rochester and Joan Fontaine as Jane will forever be the 'classic' film version of the story. I love it because I love Orson's portrayal of Rochester, I think as far as physical looks go he's the closest to how I imagine him to look in the novel. I also love the old black and white photography, it definitely lends itself to the gothic atmosphere. And I personally thought Orson and Joan had a great deal of chemistry surprisingly, despite the old fashioned acting which can sometimes seem cheesy at times nowadays, I thought their was a great deal of romantic tension between them which made me totally believe they were falling in love. My favorite scene between them is the scene where Rochester delivers his famous 'string line' to Jane, Orson's delivery of that line is my personal favorite of all the 'Rochester's ' that I've seen.

The 2006 Mini Series: Being a Mini Series it has a lot more scenes from the novel, and it's probably the version that showcases the sexual tension between Jane and Rochester the most. Nobody will accuse Toby Stevens (Rochester) and Ruth Wilson (Jane) of not having chemistry. I love it because of how much more stuff is included from the novel while maintaining the tension between the two characters. My favorite scene would have to be the reunion scene at the end, I felt it was done beautifully and always makes me tear up every time I watch it.

The 2011 Film: Has Michael Fassbender as Rochester, anything more need to be said lol? I love this movie, I love how they greatly emphasized the gothic atmosphere of the novel which some adaptions completely forget. I thought Mia Wasikowska was the closest to how I'd imagined Jane to look in the novel. She wasn't too pretty, and she wasn't too old, she was believable as Jane. And she and Michael had a great deal of chemistry, some of the scenes between them were electric, my favorite would be a toss up between the bedroom fire scene and the scene where Jane leaves, both of those scenes were very close to the book and the tension between them just leaped off the screen.

I could talk about other versions, some of which I liked but certain elements brought them down for me, while other's I outright disliked. What are your favorite film versions ThePhantomsSiren? :)
Rose

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 pm

Rose wrote:Yeah! :yay: Haha, I don't know what your experiences are but it seems most people I know tend to prefer Emily Bronte's 'Wuthering Heights', while I personally am a Charlotte Bronte girl through and through and Jane Eyre is my tops on the Bronte List (sorry Heathcliff, but give me Edward Rochester any day lol :P)

I feel the same, I find myself re-reading Jane Eyre more than I crack open my copy of Wuthering Heights. I think the characters in Jane Eyre are much more likable and interesting than those in WH. Catherine always annoyed me (both in the book and her movie adaptations) lol though I did like Heathcliff, I believe that the way Mr. Rochester is written makes for a far more interesting character and I felt more for his predicament than what happened to Heathcliff.

What are your favorite film versions ThePhantomsSiren? :)

I have seen many adaptations of Jane Eyre, but I have to say that the mini series with Ruth Wilson is by far my favorite version!
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby honeyphan » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

It's funny you guys are talking about Jane Eyre, since that will be my next PotO combined story. lol (that I have planned to do for over a year). I finished the Come to Me (Wuthering Heights) one (my goal before I started doing the Jane Eyre one) and will soon be posting it on fanfiction. But I'm going to read through the book again to refresh myself. Maybe even watch the movie...

I think my favorite was the one with all the kissing done on the bed, with Rochester trying to convince Jane to give in. lol It was somewhat shocking to see that in the British films they put out at the time, (a first), with how intense it was - but I loved it. :hearts: The newer version that came out is good too - I had started vidding it, in multifandom vids, but never made a single video for some reason.
honeyphan

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO