Recommend A Movie

Recommend A Movie

Postby Rose » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Hey everyone I saw you guys had a thread for discussing your favorite TV Shows, so I thought lets do one for movies. And it will be a great way for me to easy myself back in the realm of discussion after being MIA for so long.

This thread is for discussing your favorite NON-POTO theatrical movies, made for TV movies, and mini-series.

This is NOT for TV Shows, or Stage Shows.

I'll start us off with a personal favorite of mine and a great film to watch now that the Holidays are upon us; starring Judy Garland, Frank Morgan, Ray Bolger, Bert Lahr, and Jack Hayley, it's the one and only The Wizard of Oz

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Oz-75th-Anniversary/dp/B00CNW9ZI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1386023905&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Wizard+of+Oz

I use to watch this film so many times as a child, I know all the songs by heart and I wanted so badly to go to the Land of Oz with Dorothy. Oz was really my dream land as a little girl I never dreamed of Castles and Princesses, I dreamed of Emerald Cities and Munchkins :P

It's the one film from my childhood that I can truly say when I sit down to watch it now...I feel like I'm five years old again. I cannot watch this movie with adult eyes or without the rosy glasses of nostalgia, I mean I KNOW you can see it's all done on a set, I know some of the props look fake, but I don't care because like a well loved teddy bear from childhood the flaws just make it more beautiful and special to me.

All the performances in this film are amazing, who can forget Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch? She scared me worse then any villain Disney could throw at me (although I love Disney Films too) and Judy Garland? The older I get the more I realize how special she was, although it's sad all the problems she had as she got older but in The Wizard of Oz she was only 16 years old and had such a glow about her, she WAS Dorothy.

And her voice...she truly is the real life Christine Daae of the 20th Century ;) I mean this girl could belt out songs better then many trained adults. She was a true talent that only comes around once every generation, 'Over the Rainbow' (probably my favorite song) wouldn't have been half as poignant without her singing it. Sometimes a singer will truly claim a song for themselves and although other people have played Dorothy none could ever top Judy's performance and none could ever hope to match her rendition of 'Over the Rainbow'.

And ALL the songs in the Wizard of Oz are brilliant: Over the Rainbow, Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead, We're Off To See The Wizard, If I Only Had A Brain/Heart/The Nerve, etc. And you know probably the weirdest thing for me about this film is that I don't think of it as a musical even though technically IT IS. The songs are so ingrained in the film that they don't feel like songs...I almost liken it to the Classic Disney Films where song and story is so entwined that neither could stand without the other. I mean I don't think of Snow White as a musical even though it is (an Animated Musical) etc.

And don't get me wrong I'm not knocking down other musicals...I mean POTO is my #1 favorite and what I consider to be the greatest musical of all time...it's songs are emotional powerhouses...but when you think of the Show you think of both the songs and the story...the songs can stand out of the story if you want them too (for example I can play MOTN just as a song independent of it's show).

Whereas in the Wizard of Oz, the only song I think can really stand on it's own would be 'Over the Rainbow', I mean at a party I'm not going to play 'We're Off To See The Wizard' on the track list. :P But like I said I'm NOT knocking down Modern Musicals I'm just saying this makes Wizard of Oz unique because I never think of it as a musical and although it's probably one of my favorite...if not my favorite movie of all time and it's songs are brilliant... I still would never list it as one of my favorite Musicals of all time like I would POTO or West Side Story, or Les Miserables, etc.

But anyway this is one film I look forward to watching with the family now that Christmas is upon us, it many not technically be a Holiday film but it's messages about family and friendship makes it perfect viewing for this time of year.

After all thanks to this film we all know...there's no place like home ;)

So everyone, get out your popcorn and list of favorite Non-Phantom films... and recommend a movie!

P.S. A Phantom of the Opera Marathon will be coming up next, stay tuned. 8-)
Rose

Re: Recommend A Movie

Postby whisper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:55 am

hi Rose!
i am also a TWoO fan!
as a child one particular scene gave me nightmares for years. the scene when the house drops on the WW and her feet curled up fueled many horrific nightmares. a few years ago i decided to re-watch the scene seeking any bit of info that could have triggered my childhood "fear". the result was 'nothing', no discomforting reactions. i couldn't even conjure up a raised heartbeat, lol. go figure. you might have thought the nasty monkey army would spawn a nightmare but Nooooooo it was those curling feet. :argh:

currently i have been "studying" two films, The Hobbit and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. i recommend TH to anyone who is able to leave certain aspects of the book behind. TTSS is a whole different experience so a viewer must be able to take themselves back to a place in time without cell phones, computers etc and it helps if the viewer can leave certain aspects of the book behind too.
whisper

Postby Godzuki » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:19 pm

The angry trees and the flying monkeys frightened me, but not the wicked witch. she looked so much like my beloved grandma but I knew I could never tell anyone in my family without offending :rofl: I understand there is a sympathetic story of her, "Wicked" (?), a Broadway show. Hahah I will have to check that out sometime.

My kids are of an age that we are sharing favorite movies with them and we have so much fun chatting them up afterwards. Star Wars is a favorite of ours, we lean towards SciFi an awful lot. I remember loving Raiders of the Lost Ark, but wonder if melting faces and way too many snakes will trigger a scary dream or two? Hmmm maybe i'll wait on that one for awhile

Whenever my dh goes on a business trip, I watch favorites that just arent' his cup of tea like "Moonstruck" or "In Her Shoes" and of course POTO gets thrown in there too

Speaking of favorite movies, I've noticed that Carrie Underwood is going to do "The Sound of Music" this week (although I think she is doing the play not a movie remake). There seems to be quite an uproar of touching that, reminds me a bit of the ruckus when "Love Never Dies" came out. Geez if you don't want to watch it don't, if you do, go for it! I think some people are just very angry that they don't control the world LOL
Godzuki

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Ah G, the "control the world" syndrome seems to affect lots of folks. Too bad.

Your and W comments about movies made me think of my GS's Facebook page which I read yesterday. He had listed 200 favorite movies, and yes, I looked at the list. Was truly amazed to see how many were films that he watched as a child and still considers his favorites. I expected the Star Wars, etc., etc., but was delighted to see the likes of Princess Bride and others. Makes me feel that I did a reasonable job of educating him to my point of view about life. :)
lifeinparadise1

Postby Godzuki » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 pm

OOOOOOOO!!!!!! Princess Bride!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Princess Bride!!!!!!!

I've seen many a nametag with "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father - prepare to die" !!!!!! :rofl:
Godzuki

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Charlie Rose had Mandy P. on his show a couple of nights ago, was a terrific interview. And I love him in Homeland. Have always admired both his acting and his personal philosophy of life. He's mostly been able to live what he believes and stands for, so very admirable. Of course security and money help that happen. ;)
lifeinparadise1

Postby whisper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

HBO i watched Gravity and thought is was was very good. i do love the space stuff though, Alien, 2001 Space Odyssey, Star Wars and Apollo 13 and others. even though i don't trust airplanes i love the space junk...go figure.
whisper

Postby AMused » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

W, who said you had to make any sense? We love you just the way you are :hearts:
AMused

Postby whisper » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:34 pm

haha so true.
but truthfully it is a really good film. 90 min of tension and then resolution...a lot like good sex hahahahahaha.
whisper

Postby AMused » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

whisper wrote:haha so true.
but truthfully it is a really good film. 90 min of tension and then resolution...a lot like good sex hahahahahaha.

YUP!

Did anyone watch Extant last night?
AMused

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO