What are you reading?

Re: What are you reading?

Postby AMused » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Your positive spirit, humor and stamina are inspiring to me :love:

Ah, gorsh ..... thank you!

I started taking notes when I was reading the Highlander series.
AMused

Postby honeyphan » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:09 pm

Godzuki wrote:
AMused wrote:I loved A Rose in Winter. High romance, adventure, deceit, corruption, and masquerades. And well worth discussion. Honey, when you begin reading it, let me know. I think I'll take it off my bookshelf and re-read along with you.

Something I've noticed of late, since I learned that I'm dyslexic and have a tendency to be mentally rather hyper, I can channel the hyperactivity and found tricks for reading and now I can read more books at the same time and keep the stories straight.
Hmmmm perhaps we will all be reading ARiW together!!! AM, I am proud of you for your progress against dyslexia :hugs: Your positive spirit, humor and stamina are inspiring to me :love:

I agree with G - it is awe inspiring. :hearts: One of the authors I know in my profession is also dyslexic. Another author I know is completely blind - she has a seeing eye dog she took to conventions and uses voice software to write her stories on the computer. We have written a couple of novella collections together and she is truly amazing.

honeyphan wrote:Try WRITING several at a time and trying to keep them straight- especially when it's the same characters. ;-)

You just made me think of something - have you ever caught yourself about to accidently put one character from one story into one that they don't belong!? [/quote]

Not so much that as names. I sometimes find myself accidentally calling a character the wrong name. I called Christine's nursemaid (Berta) Netty once when Christine was relating something that once happened and didn't even realize it until a reader contacted me and asked who Netty was. lol I changed it immediately.

The secondary characters are completely my creation and made, each to fit his or her own story, (Arabella, Celeste, Luminitsa, etc) so that isn't a real problem. But when you have the same PotO character repeated in different stories, with different names, sometimes it can be. That's one reason why Erik's mother is named Helena in two stories - so I wouldn't make a mistake! lol I called Madame Giry both Dominique and Antionette in two different stories- and I often go over a chapter again just to make sure I used the right names! lol For the most part, they retain their characteristics by which we know them, but I change the backstories for each and have to keep a sharp eye on that too. It is not uncommon for me to read through the entire story (or series) to reacquaint myself with everything before writing the next chapter, especially if it's been a long time. Sometimes I just read the last few chapters though, to get back in the flow. :)
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Postby AMused » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:50 pm

Honey, it amazes me how you can be writing more than one story at a time. Your ficts are complicated and diverse. How do you keep track?

Thank you for the supportive words on dealing with dyslexia. My life would have been so much easier had I known about my "learning disability" before I was in my sixties ........ One of the reasons I audited my attendance of classes at several of the Universities & Colleges in California was because I was unsure of my ability to read required papers, reports and books. You should have seen my notes ..... !!!!!
AMused

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Currently I'm reading Beyond the Masque: The Untold Story of Erik and Christine by Kae D. Jacobs (which was one of the first POTO sequels that I bought). I love it!!!
I am really picky when it comes to phanfiction, but this book didn't disappoint me. It's one of my favorite Phantom sequels that I've read over and over again.
Definitely worth taking a look at for anyone looking for another Phantom sequel.

Here you can at least read the first 8 or so pages of the book (which was what convinced me to get it):
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Masque-Untold-Story-Christine/dp/0595428207/ref=pd_sim_14_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CH9EQ6PJNSHE38JDTCR

Here is a link to the edition that I own (and one that is not so expensive):http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Masque-Kae-D-Jacobs/dp/1599360322/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YWDE7WJW1BVCTJ69DKG
"I am not really wicked, love me and you will see!
All I wanted was to be loved for myself..."
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby honeyphan » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:17 pm

ThePhantomsSiren wrote:Currently I'm reading Beyond the Masque: The Untold Story of Erik and Christine by Kae D. Jacobs (which was one of the first POTO sequels that I bought). I love it!!!
I am really picky when it comes to phanfiction, but this book didn't disappoint me. It's one of my favorite Phantom sequels that I've read over and over again.
Definitely worth taking a look at for anyone looking for another Phantom sequel.

Here you can at least read the first 8 or so pages of the book (which was what convinced me to get it):
http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Masque-Untold-Story-Christine/dp/0595428207/ref=pd_sim_14_10?ie=UTF8&refRID=1CH9EQ6PJNSHE38JDTCR

Here is a link to the edition that I own (and one that is not so expensive):http://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Masque-Kae-D-Jacobs/dp/1599360322/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0YWDE7WJW1BVCTJ69DKG

Thanks for the recommendation! :)
I recently bought Journey of the Mask (or rather, I got it through a credit at PBS)- and have yet to read it, but I've heard it's pretty good.

I'll check into this and read a few sections, to see if it's my type of phanphic. :)

I still think Letters to Erik is probably one of the best published works for a phanphic I've come across yet - it had everything- romance, mystery, humor, drama, angst- and was well written, something you don't usually come across with self publishing - as well as being easy to read and not requiring a lot of thought to get through some of the sentences (lol)...
Last edited by honeyphan on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
honeyphan

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:49 am

honeyphan wrote:Thanks for the recommendation! :)

You're welcome!

I recently bought Journey of the Mask (or rather, I got it through a credit at PBS)- and have yet to read it, but I've heard it's pretty good.

I have not read this one, so I'll have to check into this one as well to see if I would like it...like I said, I'm pretty picky ;)

I'll check into this and read a few sections, to see if it's my type of phanphic. :)

I still think Letters to Erik is probably one of the best published works for a phanphic I've come across yet - it had everything- romance, mystery, humor, drama, angst- and was well written, something you don't usually come across with self publishing - as well as being easy to read and not requiring a lot of thought to get through some of the sentences (lol)...

I love Letters to Erik as well! It's another one of my favorites that I read over and over :hearts:
"I am not really wicked, love me and you will see!
All I wanted was to be loved for myself..."
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby honeyphan » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm now reading A Rose in Winter- I love it!! lol I'm at the part where Erienne has just married Lord Saxton and her first thoughts of him and his appearance - oh, this is going to be good....

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

So far, it's my favorite of those I've read of Woodiwiss's books.
I also really liked Shanna.
honeyphan

Postby nightsmusic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:31 pm

RiW is my FAVORITE! I read it at least twice a year. I can't help it. I'm such a sucker but it's oh, so very good...
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Never read RW, another one to add to the pile.....grumble, grumble ............

House in chaos, boxes, STUFF, all over, people working on disconnecting electrical.....mechanic calls and wants to send over tow truck for my Cherokee......no car, no money in house, borrowed from neighbor to pay driver.......crashed my laptop this morning, just now got everything back up and going. And I've got 6 more months of this ????????? :argh:

Oh, haven't started yet, but was gifted with the latest Outlander book. And I'm now able to get all the movie channels on my laptop/tv here, so for the very first time I just might be on the same page as everyone else, wonders of wonders.

More work, no sitting down. :time:
lifeinparadise1

Postby nightsmusic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:51 pm

Six months! I just can't imagine though in all honesty, my fireplace was started last August and I'm still waiting to get it finished. Ugh.

I haven't decided if I'm going to watch season two of Outlander yet. I have a love/hate relationship with everything after her first book, so who knows...

You absolutely MUST read Rose in Winter though. You'll love it!
nightsmusic
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO