New Phantom on Broadway

New Phantom on Broadway

Postby nightsmusic » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:40 pm

So, in case none of you haven't noticed, which I find hard to believe, Broadway has a new Phantom.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ar ... z2wpA4mFqN

Norm Lewis, who has a phenomenal voice and is black, will be the next Broadway Phantom.

How do you all feel about that? I have mixed feelings here. He is such a wonderful singer and yet, the Phantom is supposed to be pale, almost sickly looking from living underground much of his life. I can't picture what they'll do to make Norm Lewis look pale or sickly! Apart from a few other odd things, it just seems...not in keeping with the Phantom character. But that's me.

What about you?
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Re: New Phantom on Broadway

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm

Oh my, they want to kill him off in LND and turn him Black in Phantom? What do they plan to do paint his face white, reverse vaudeville? No, that doesn't appeal to me, so won't be seeing that version any time soon.
Good grief. :what: :foot: :foot:
lifeinparadise1

Postby whisper » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:30 pm

Actually this would not be the first black Phantom
http://www.greatshowtunes.com/videos/co ... laume.html Robert Guillaume did well, not a trained voice but is able to pull it off.
in a musical that focuses on the beauty of the voice above all else i think it is an intriguing choice for Phantom and his and his angelic voice but not beyond the scope of the story.
Norm Lewis as Javert well worth a listen.:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qroF-ZrxYzc
whisper

Postby nightsmusic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:02 am

You know, I thought I remembered that but wasn't sure. I really loved his voice. He's one of the few actors I never saw though. I would still be a bit conflicted though because of the circumstances in which the Phantom lived. And to make any black actor look really pale makes them look like zombies, so I would hate to see that. Hey! I'm willing to give it a shot. I might be in NYC next month for a few days. If I am, you bet your sweet patoots I'm gonna see it!
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Postby whisper » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:08 pm

i really doubt they will try to white face the new Phantom it would be soooooo politically incorrect and probably look like crap too. i am curious to find out what they come up with. can't wait to get a first hand review. ;)
whisper

Postby nightsmusic » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:12 pm

If it's not the weekend of the wedding, I'll be going and let you know. I wasn't thinking whiteface per sey, but he's not supposed to be the picture of health and honestly, how would you tell? I've taken care of a variety of patients in my time, and people with darker skin are often much harder to assess based on pallor. Does that make sense?
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Postby Gerry's Protector » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:34 pm

I think this is actually a good start to have a new Phantom.

I saw the small speical that abc news did and I was impressed with his voice and have a feeling he'll hold his own as a Phantom and I think this will pave the way for other actors and actresses to play the lead roles.

I hope it's a positive direction that doesn't hurt Phantom...
Gerry's Protector

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO