OUTLANDER SERIES & BOOKS

Re: OUTLANDER SERIES & BOOKS

Postby honeyphan » Mon May 30, 2016 11:01 am

nightsmusic wrote:Beautiful, Honey! I love your videos.

So, we went to Grand Rapids for Phantom this weekend in celebration of our 35th anniversary. Below is my review. I miss the original...

I've seen the play at least 100 times and was very disappointed in the whole thing last night. I think the worst was how maniacal the Phantom seemed to be. In the original, at the end, I could see the continuation of the story, the fact the Webber originally could as well and wrote Love Never Dies with that continuing story in mind. In the new restaging, I wanted to smack the Phantom by the end of the play, he seemed so...vicious compared to the pitiable figure he is, even in the original book. I felt nothing for him at the end. It's the first time I haven't cried at the end of the play. Though I've seen several Phantoms, John Cudia still being my absolute favorite and the one actor who makes the Phantom most...human, I've never seen one that made me dislike him like last night. It's such a shame!

I also wasn't happy with the sets. They were all very claustrophobic. I thought at first that it was just the smaller stage at the De Vos center, but I see that it appears almost intentional according to a review on Broadway World. Very disappointing. The grandeur and splendor of the originals are part of what give the Phantom his mystery, his air of undeniable control over things because he comes across as larger than the sets.

I could deal with a bit of the truncated lyrics and scenes, but the worst was watching the Phantom come across as wanting to kill Christine. I think, for me, that part is unforgivable. He loves her. He LOVES her! And yet, he turns into the typical nutcase, holding the woman in front of him to protect himself, trying to choke her...it was a scene out of Cops.

I admit, I am spoiled. I watched the Las Vegas version several times, Tony was fabulous though, not quite John, but still brought a humanity to the role that was completely missing last night. He came across as insane, not one to be pitied or, as LND shows later, one to be loved.

Chris Mann (the Phantom) only came into his own during the first phrasing of "you alone can make my song take flight," and then went back to garnering little musical emotion until the last time he sings it. By then, it was too late.

Raoul was an egotistical twit though he did a good job of showing what has always been a bit lacking in the original, that overwhelming entitlement to get what he wants at anyone's cost, including the woman he supposedly loves.

Christine was too angry and showed little if any compassion to the Phantom, the managers were okay but I really missed the cock and bull masks in the masquerade scene! M Giry couldn't seem to make up her mind whether she was pro or anti Phantom...the two who I think made the whole show were Carlotta and Piangi. I've not seen a performance that I can remember, with a tiny little Diva and she dominated almost everything she was in.

This was very disappointing for me last night. Gone is the sweeping love, the mystical qualities and the magic, replaced by a claustrophobic anger and insanity and unless I get to NYC again to see it in its original form, I won't spend the time to see this new restaging again.

Such a sad, disappointment...

I'm glad you liked my video! Thank you! :hearts: And happy belated Anniversary!

I'm sorry to hear that the Phantom outing was disappointing! I have seen the reboot of the show, well big chunks of it, online- but with Earl Carpenter. I loved the blindfold change and that he dances with her. He also didn't act how you described Chris Mann acting - so maybe it was a singular thing - each Phantom behaving how they thought it should be (or each director of production directing it that way?) I use clips of it (and some of Chris's) for the beauty and difference of clips, for videos - when I vid all Phantoms I have, I like a wide range, to be more versatile and have less repetition - but I never heard Chris Mann's production, though I used a line from his voice at the masquerade in the last vid of PotO I did a few weeks ago (using Within Temptation's "Blue Eyes"). (or wait! - it might have been James Barbour's? lol I can't remember now whose I used since I spotlighted the voices of 3 different Phantoms...) -With what you said and how Chris acted it out, now I'm not sure I want to keep using his clips. lol But again, I liked the variation of the reboot - to blend in with regular stage production and the movie for music vids.
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Postby honeyphan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:46 am

So are you guys excited about tonight/tomorrow's finale (I watch at midnight lol). I know what's coming, so I'm prepared/preparing myself, and have a box of tissues nearby, but still it's going to be hard.

Good thing they said season 3 will come sooner than later - and notice the video they included at the end. ;-) (I had no idea that would happen - a viewer alerted me to it) -

http://www.inquisitr.com/3254230/outlan ... r-voyager/

(This is the second time an internet reporter has included a vid of mine in an article and a viewer told me. lol)
honeyphan

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:38 am

I guess Starz took a week off and didn't show a program last Saturday. I watch the show through Xfinity and thought it was their fault no program! Guess I owe them a mental apology. Will be glued to the tv, but can't see it until 9 p.m.

Thrilled to know we'll have two more seasons, at least. Expect they will not drop such a moneymaker and ratings winner.
lifeinparadise1

Postby honeyphan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:21 pm

lifeinparadise1 wrote:I guess Starz took a week off and didn't show a program last Saturday. I watch the show through Xfinity and thought it was their fault no program! Guess I owe them a mental apology. Will be glued to the tv, but can't see it until 9 p.m.

Thrilled to know we'll have two more seasons, at least. Expect they will not drop such a moneymaker and ratings winner.

I think it was because of July 4th weekend. They announced it in promos, that it wouldn't be on until July 9th.
honeyphan

Postby honeyphan » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:43 am

I watched last night - tissue moments hit spaced out- since they spaced the time frames out throughout episode. (60s and 18th century) That helped, though the scene at the stones, I lost it. lol

Some things they did differently...and only one of those things I did not like, while one of them I loved. :hearts:

Hope you guys enjoy! I know I did. :hearts:
*going back to work on my latest Outlander video....
honeyphan

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:30 am

Ah, sigh..... :( :hearts:
lifeinparadise1

Postby honeyphan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:42 pm

I can't believe I forgot to post this here...
Anyway, it's sort of a wee mini tribute to the premiere of season 2 and the finale... hope you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESguSnPZMvU

:hearts:
honeyphan

Postby AMused » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Is anyone watching Season 3 of Outlander?
AMused

Postby nightsmusic » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:10 pm

HEY!!! Lookie what the cat dragged in!!

In case you didn't see the announcement, Photobucket is now charging so if your avatar or signature was housed by me, I no longer have an account with them because I'm not paying exorbitant prices for third party hosting abilities. Sorry.

And no, I'm not watching it. Just reading the blogs the day after the show.
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Postby AMused » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 pm

Hahahaha. I fixed my avi and sig. I couldn't believe my eyes when I clicked on the link and they wanted $$$.
AMused

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO