Would you watch a Disney version of POTO?

Would you watch a Disney version of POTO?

Postby Godzuki » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:20 pm

First off, I'm not aware of any Disney version of POTO in the works, but an idea came to me the other day. Recently the girls watched the Disney version of “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” which was changed considerably from Victor Hugo’s story, one might say LOL. I can see why they changed it though, the original is too dark for children, but I’m glad they kept some of the messages (don’t judge someone from first appearances, everyone has value and potential). I thought the animation of Notre Dame and Paris was gorgeous and appreciated that they gave Esmerelda and Quasimodo a much happier ending.

It made me wonder what Disney would do to POTO. How would they handle GL’s story? Would they give Erik and Christine a happy ending, just to be different? And how would Paris and the Opera House look? How would their lair be? Would you want to see a Disney version or do you fear they would mess with our beloved story too much? I would not want a Disney musical of POTO however, I think ALW’s is perfection and the songs couldn’t be too chipper, IMO, it just doesn’t fit the story.

Curious what you have to say!
Godzuki

Re: Would you watch a Disney version of POTO?

Postby nightsmusic » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:17 pm

No! Just...no. Disney has a way of putting a slant on things that I don't always agree with. Besides, you mentioned this and all I could picture is a Phantom doing the Chimney Sweep song from Mary Poppins. How ghastly!!! :what:
nightsmusic
Site Admin

Re: Would you watch a Disney version of POTO?

Postby lifeinparadise1 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:49 pm

Well, now that you brought the subject up, yes, I would probably watch. I'm so Phantom obsessed that I wouldn't be able to resist. I'm with you NM, I sincerely hope that Disney doesn't attempt it! A happy ending would be nice but the thought of a musical makes me shudder. We keep living through these reincarnations of the story without any improvement over ALWs versions. I want something I can sigh over and dream about, not take my grandchildren to see.

It's pouring outside, guess I'll go watch our latest version of The Great Flood. Honey, I think you had a bit of this a while back. :ohno:
lifeinparadise1

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO