Beauty and the Beast 2017

Beauty and the Beast 2017

Postby Rose » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Ok, I just got back from seeing the new Beauty and the Beast, OMG I LOVED it! :love:

First off they couldn't have remained more true to the Animated Film without just outright copying it, it was more faithful to it's source material (the animated film) then most movie adaptions are of their novels. All the actors did a great job, I thought Emma was fantastic as Belle, her singing sounded fine and her acting was top notch, some people were worried she'd make Belle too feisty and modern but she did a great job playing a woman who loves to read and learn but is stifled by the tiny closed-minded village she lives in.

I LOVED Dan Stevens as the Beast/Prince, I felt he was more human then the animated Beast which might have disappointed some people but I thought it made the love story a little more believable. Animation is one thing but in live action you have to believe that Belle could fall in love with this big hulking animal, so I think it was a smart move to highlight his humanness more then his beastliness, although you still see the Beast go to town on the wolves so he's still pretty ferocious at times.

Luke Evans as Gaston was good, not as funny as the animated version, but he was definitely believable when Gaston goes full on villainous and decides to go after the Beast. I like how they showed his evilness early on though to let you know how bad a guy he really is
Spoiler:
when he ties up Belle's father and leaves him to be eaten by the wolves, and I liked how Lefou in this version slowly begins to realize that Gaston is not a good person, he even has a line in the Mob Song they added that highlights his growing realization of what a monster Gaston really is:

Lefou
"Theirs a Beast running wild theirs no question
But I fear the wrong monster's released"

All the objects/servants were done well, it's funny I always liked Lumier over Cogsworth in the animated film, but Ian McKellen won me over in this film, I loved Cogsworth and
Spoiler:
in the end when the Beast dies and the servants are turning inanimate, Cogsworth's last line to Lumier almost brought me to tears, that scene really got to me and was a brilliant addition they made to the film

The ending was especially touching,
Spoiler:
I liked how they had the Enchantress present at the end and had the rose petal actually fall BEFORE Belle said 'I love you', but when she finally said it lost in her grief and totally oblivious to the woman standing a few feet away, the woman's eyes just snap up and we realize she was the Enchantress and she takes mercy on the Beast and breaks the spell plus
the transformation scene was practically shot for shot of the scene in the animated film, and Dan looked like a freakin double of the animated Prince with his blond hair down to his shoulders and those gorgeous blue eyes. ;) ...it's funny I never liked the Prince in the animated film, but Dan Stevens has won me over :hearts:

All the songs were well done and the new songs were awesome, 'Evermore' which is sung after Beast let's Belle go and thinks he has lost her forever, has to be my favorite, it's so romantic and Dan sings his heart out and
Spoiler:
as Beast is climbing the tower trying to keep her in sight for as long as possible you can just feel his despair
'Days in the Sun' were also touching' so was 'How Does a Moment Last Forever'...listening to the soundtrack I was curious where Belle would sing that song and in the film the moment is so touching...we learn more about Belle's past, about her mother and why she and her father moved to the 'little town', we also get some info on the Prince's past as well.

And I didn't mention the visuals, the castle looked freakin AMAZING, seriously this might be my favorite castle design I've seen on film yet, it was so gothic and gorgeous.

All in all it was a awesome film, very nostalgic for those of us that grew up with the Animated Film, although some might argue that it follows the animated film TOO closely but I think their is enough new material to make it interesting in it's own right. It's definitely more mature then the animated film (although kids can still watch it fine) the love feels more mature and so does the stakes for what happens to not only the Prince but the Servants once the last petal falls off the rose.

Great Film :music:
Rose

Re: Beauty and the Beast 2017

Postby honeyphan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 pm

I put the reply in the wrong place (I think I'm still in shock- reason below- lol) - so will post it here too:

Okay- so I am like totally freaking out- I just went to see the movie- and when he turned into a prince at the end, I was like - I know that guy! lol (impossible to really see him at beginning with all that makeup he wore - and impossible with him being the beast)- I was going crazy trying to place him, came home, looked it up, and saw- he was only my favorite freaking character in Downton Abbey (and part of the one couple I've even vidded!)!!!! lol

:what: :what: :what: :doh: :doh: :doh: ImageImageImage

I'll share more of my views later - that just totally floored me.
It would be like if I went to a movie with Gerard Butler as the main character all the way through and didn't realize until after I watched the whole thing that he was my Erik from PotO!

Oh- and Ewan McGregor (the SCOT!... Moulin Rouge) - was the French Candle!!!!! :what: :what:
I had no idea about that either, until I looked at the credits at the end...
how wild this day has been...

lol

Rose, I will also reply to your PM soon, and LiP, to your post too. :hearts:

Added to say- wonderful insights, Rose. I agree. (though I think of all the inanimate objects, Chip is who won me over the most, though all of the servants were good.)
Will add my thoughts on movie and what most moved me later...
Oh - and would you believe I've already had someone request that I do a PotO/Leon & Bella vid to Dan Steven's version of Evermore? lol
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Postby Rose » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:45 pm

honeyphan wrote
I put the reply in the wrong place (I think I'm still in shock- reason below- lol) - so will post it here too:

Okay- so I am like totally freaking out- I just went to see the movie- and when he turned into a prince at the end, I was like - I know that guy! lol (impossible to really see him at beginning with all that makeup he wore - and impossible with him being the beast)- I was going crazy trying to place him, came home, looked it up, and saw- he was only my favorite freaking character in Downton Abbey (and part of the one couple I've even vidded!)!!!! lol

Oh- and Ewan McGregor (the SCOT!... Moulin Rouge) - was the French Candle!!!!! :what: :what:
I had no idea about that either, until I looked at the credits at the end...
how wild this day has been...

LOL, I've had that happen to me before, but in this case I'd been watching the interviews with the cast and crew on YouTube so I knew that Dan was playing the Prince/Beast and Ewan was playing Lumiere.

Here's some interviews below, enjoy ;)

Dan Stevens:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jsGNswfZ2Y

Emma Watson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POvGKnq1d60

Emma Watson and Dan Stevens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MeP94w4s9I

Luke Evans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRBNhxwEewQ

Ewan McGregor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbySziUPQF4

Emma Thompson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFFCU5cavtc

Ian McKellen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDqYVxpilaU
Rose

Postby Rose » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm

A few more thoughts on the movie, I'll probably go to see it again this week if I can, it's definitely a film you'll want to watch several times to be able to take everything in, their is a lot of detail going on, and a lot of symbolism...like the rose motif is carried all the way throughout the film.

Warning, lot's of spoilers below:

Not just the Enchantresses rose but in a wonderful nod to the original story
Spoiler:
Beast imprisons Maurice for stealing a rose from his garden, rather then trespassing like it was in the animated film, I like how they hinted that the roses would have belonged to his mother and that's what angered him so much, because she was the only person he ever really loved in his life, until Belle came along.
The Castle itself is shaped almost like a giant Rose, if you look at it from above, and even Belle's
Spoiler:
baby rattle had a rose on it

I also liked how the Enchantress was hanging around the town in disguise
Spoiler:
she was Agatha, the spinster woman in the village whom Gaston dismissed as being loony, I like how she hung around to keep an eye on things and she was the one who saved Maurice when Gaston left him for dead...which made me wonder a bit if she was orchestrating some of this herself (was she the one who caused the lighting to strike the tree branch forcing Maurice to take the path to the castle? :hmm: ) I had my radar up when she appeared to help Maurice, I thought she might be the Enchantress in disguise and when she turned up at the end when Beast and Belle basically reveal their love for each other, I knew it then.

I also liked how the stakes were higher for the curse, how every time a rose petal fell... part of the castle would crumble and fall, almost showing that in time if the spell was never broken the entire castle would eventually crumble into nothing, and the servants
Spoiler:
slowly becoming more inanimate, was something that was hinted at in the stage show, but in the film they really showed how dire the situation was for them as basically losing their humanity entirely and becoming inanimate...it's chilling and heartbreaking and a lot of people at my screening were getting choked up at the end when they basically 'die' , Mrs Pott's calling for her son, and Cogsworth struggling to speak and get his final words out to his friend Lumiere...they managed to make the ending so much more heartbreaking in this way

I also loved how in actuality
Spoiler:
Belle's 'I love you' came too late for everyone, the last petal had fallen, the Beast had died, the servants had become inanimate, that should have been the end...but the Enchantress heard Belle (almost like she was just WAITING for Belle to say it) and basically decided to show mercy in reversing the curse. I thought the Enchantress came across much better in this film. In the orginal film she curses the Prince and the servants and then just disapears leaving them to their fate which almost made her seem like just some evil witch.

But in this version I got the distinct impression that she WANTED the curse to be broken, that she did it more to 'help' the Prince in her own witchy way, lol. Especially when we get the info on the Prince's back-story that he was pretty much abused by his father and that's part of the reason he became a jerk as an adult, but he was never truly a bad man because he got his good heart from his mother whom he had loved. So he was obviously redeemable and I felt the Enchantress in her own way, was truly trying to save him from himself, but to do so she had to humble him.

She wasn't evil, we see from how she saved Maurice's life and how she may have even manipulated events to bring the Beast and Belle together that she was working for the greater good, even though her methods might appear cruel. She didn't curse the servants for no reason, Mrs Pott's even explains in this version that they weren't exactly innocent in how the Prince turned out either, they saw how his father treated him and they did nothing to stop it...so by turning a deaf ear to what was going on they played a part in how he turned out as well, which is why they were also cursed, I liked that
Rose

Postby honeyphan » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:55 pm

Interesting about the rose parallels - love that! I'll probably wait to see it again when it comes out on DVD - and look for the symbolism then. ;-) This will probably shock you, but I've never seen the animated version. ;-) This is my first, though I have seen other adaptations of Beauty and the Beast in movies (not animated).

I loved your input on the enchantress and agree with all you said. She never came across as evil, even at the beginning - more like someone who wanted to teach the prince a lesson, but hoped he would learn it and that he would find love. That becomes clear when we saw her at the end (and as soon as I saw Agatha, I thought - is that the Enchantress? lol)
If it was all about the curse, there would be no reason for her appearance at the end. She could have just been absent and left them to their dark fate -
the very fact that she was there, not only there, but in the same alcove with Belle and the Prince suggested otherwise. She was definitely waiting - and hoping- for Belle to break the curse.
Also, that she went against HER OWN words of that curse- that all would remain and all humanity would be lost after the last petal had fallen - and it had - but still she waited and hoped - proved that she wanted his best and didn't do that to be evil, but to teach the prince a much needed lesson. Keep in mind he's the ruler over the people there - he needs to learn mercy, something he never had before that. You might even say that this was an education to help him be a good ruler. ;-) I even wonder if his mother had something to do with the enchantress being there, to help the prince be the ruler he needed to be (if it says so in the book- and no, never read that either. lol A condensed fairy tale version in a book of them, yes, but never the original in full).

Here's a few of my thoughts on the movie:

I loved how we did not truly see the prince until he turned around at the end. First we see him in bizarre makeup- like a mask- to disguise what he is and obliterate any beauty there. Good choice to do that. Then as a frightful looking beast who is bitter and in despair. And finally, when he has learned what it is to love and be loved, they reveal his countenance - changed and beautiful, no wig or mask - but the purity of who he now is (something it could not be at the beginning, since he had no beauty in him, only superficial in looks).

I learned that in the original, the rose that her father tries to steal that angers the beast - is the enchanted rose. That makes more sense that he would be so angry and give such a severe punishment - after all, to steal that is to seal the beast's fate and that of his servants. I get how they couldn't really do that, and have it under glass (which shows it is special to the owner), with petals falling - that would have made her father look like a true thief - instead of someone who simply picks one flower of many in a garden.

At least they showed that with Belle, and the beast's resulting anger when she touched the glass dome, to forward the plot and have her run away, etc.

Oh- and thanks for the interviews - they were fun to watch. :hearts:
honeyphan

Postby Rose » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:42 pm

This will probably shock you, but I've never seen the animated version. ;-) This is my first, though I have seen other adaptations of Beauty and the Beast in movies (not animated).

:what:

LOL, ok maybe because the animated film was such a HUGE part of my childhood (my favorite Disney film, lol) that I assumed EVERYONE had seen it, lol :P :doh:

As I've said the live action film follows it very closely with only some changes and new songs that I've mentioned in my reviews,I trust you've heard some of the orginal songs before, since you've used Celine Dion's version of 'Beauty and the Beast' in the video you showed me...but I will unashamedly urge you to eventually check out the Animated Film, it's no accident it was the first animated film in history to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture.

While I'm freshly besotted with the live action film that's just come out and feel they've made many improvements and have fleshed the characters out more...the Animated Film will still forever be special to me, partly because it's a big part of my childhood, and partly because it's a classic in a million different ways.

So yeah, no butts honeyphan, :nono: ;) if you love 'Beauty and the Beast' you need to check it out, if only to understand the many dozen call-backs and nods to the animated film that the writers put into the live action film! :P :mrgreen:

honeyphan wrote
I even wonder if his mother had something to do with the enchantress being there, to help the prince be the ruler he needed to be

That's another thing I loved that was added to help connect Belle and the Beast...they had both lost their mothers when they were young. They added a lot of little scenes that really helped show them bonding and falling in love, I loved when Belle quotes Shakespeare to the Beast and he answers her with another quote surprising Belle "You can read!?"

Because coming from the little village where nobody cared to read, she had never before met anyone else (except her father) who was educated, which was partly why Belle was considered 'funny' because she was a peasant girl who was literate (something unheard of at that time). And Beast sort of blows his literacy off "I've had an...extensive education" (of course he did, he's a Prince ;) :mrgreen: ) in fact the Beast is far more educated then Belle is of course, but this does not put her off, this only attracts her more because she's met someone on her level to whom she can talk books with.

I loved how when the Beast asks Belle what her favorite Shakespeare Play is and she answers "Romeo and Juliet" and he rolls his eyes and say "you would like Romeo and Juliet", typical man response to romance LOL And then sometime later she asks him what he was reading and it's Guinevere and Lancelot, and he immediatly counters "King Arthur, sword fights, and battles, etc" lol but she teases him that it's STILL a romance, lol ;) :love: ...these two scenes were so cute.

I loved how we did not truly see the prince until he turned around at the end. First we see him in bizarre makeup- like a mask- to disguise what he is and obliterate any beauty there. Good choice to do that. Then as a frightful looking beast who is bitter and in despair. And finally, when he has learned what it is to love and be loved, they reveal his countenance - changed and beautiful, no wig or mask - but the purity of who he now is (something it could not be at the beginning, since he had no beauty in him, only superficial in looks).

Yes I liked that, in the Animated Film we never really see the Prince AT ALL until the end, the story of the enchantress is told through stained glass pictures/still images of the Prince and what happened to him. They obviously had to do something different for this version, but I think they still wanted to keep his face a bit of a mystery for the reveal at the end. The crazy make-up was sort of a reflection of his vanity, but it also showed that he was in a way already a 'Beast', just a different a different sort of Beast. It made him look fake and artifical which was basically the world he lived in of fancy parties, riches, and beautiful women and the superfical pleasures of life, removed from reality.

It was this artificiallity that kept him from connecting from anyone.

I learned that in the original, the rose that her father tries to steal that angers the beast - is the enchanted rose. That makes more sense that he would be so angry and give such a severe punishment - after all, to steal that is to seal the beast's fate and that of his servants. I get how they couldn't really do that, and have it under glass (which shows it is special to the owner), with petals falling - that would have made her father look like a true thief - instead of someone who simply picks one flower of many in a garden.

By 'orginal' do you mean the Animated Film?

Because if so I can tell you Maurice doesn't pick any roses in the animated film. The Beast simply imprisons him for tresspassing. Although the enchanted rose under the belljar with the falling petals/tickiing clock is still their, and Belle still ends up angering the Beast for going into the West Wing, Maurice has no contact with the enchanted rose at all.

But if you were talking about the original fairy tale...I know their are several versions of La Belle et la Bette, the only other one I'm familar with, and the one I know the orginal Cocteu Film was based upon has Maurice pluck the rose from the garden which simply angers the Beast (no reason why) and he tells him he either has to die for what he did or one of his daughters (he had three daughters) has to take his place instead, and because Belle was the one who asked him for a rose she takes his place. But their was no enchanted rose in that version of the story, we don't even know WHY Beast is cursed or what can break the curse until the end of the story (if I recall).

I don't know if Disney took the enchanted rose idea from another telling of the tale or they just came up with it as their own spin on the rose idea, but that's all I know. But picking the rose, is not in the Animated Film, I can tell you that as someone who knows that film from beginning to end.

Oh- and thanks for the interviews - they were fun to watch.

You are very welcome :hugs:
Rose

Postby honeyphan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:18 am

Not sure - I'll ask the girl who told me that about the enchanted rose being the one her father was going to pick. She probably meant in the original fairy tale (book form).
I only vidded Beauty and the Beast (Celine Dion) because it was a request. lol That's how I knew about the song...

And yeah, those scenes with them speaking of the books were cute. It definitely showed his human side and was a good bond to draw her close to him.
honeyphan

Postby Rose » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:47 am

I only vidded Beauty and the Beast (Celine Dion) because it was a request. lol That's how I knew about the song...

LOL, well I'm glad you got to hear them all in this wonderful live action version ;)

In many ways you are lucky because you got to come to this film with no former expectations and a fresh perspective, some people (and I know a few in my own life) will forever be biased because they love the Animated Film so much that no remake (even a live action one) will ever live up to it in their minds. I wasn't expecting it to surpass the Animated Film but to my surprise I feel in some ways it did, it's definitely gone right up to the top of my favorite films list, I'll tell you that.

But you got to go into the film not knowing what to expect at all, and you're rather lucky in that respect honeyphan, not many people I think got the chance to view the film this way. :)

P.S. Did you get my PM, about the ending of the film? Please let me know what you think about THAT, lol :mrgreen:
Rose

Postby honeyphan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Rose wrote:

LOL, well I'm glad you got to hear them all in this wonderful live action version ;)

In many ways you are lucky because you got to come to this film with no former expectations and a fresh perspective, some people (and I know a few in my own life) will forever be biased because they love the Animated Film so much that no remake (even a live action one) will ever live up to it in their minds. I wasn't expecting it to surpass the Animated Film but to my surprise I feel in some ways it did, it's definitely gone right up to the top of my favorite films list, I'll tell you that.

But you got to go into the film not knowing what to expect at all, and you're rather lucky in that respect honeyphan, not many people I think got the chance to view the film this way. :)

P.S. Did you get my PM, about the ending of the film? Please let me know what you think about THAT, lol :mrgreen:

I think so too- while those I went with were comparing notes of things they preferred and did not like with the original, I could just sit back and enjoy the movie as-is - my first viewing - and take it like it was meant to be that way in all aspects.
Just like with The Phantom of the Opera - my first viewing of it was the 2004 movie, and even though I've seen many versions since then (though I adore the 25th anniversary one too), the 2004 movie is the standard to which all others are held up to and compared. lol

I did get it- I'll respond to it soon.

:music:
honeyphan

Postby Rose » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:16 am

honeyphan wrote

Just like with The Phantom of the Opera - my first viewing of it was the 2004 movie, and even though I've seen many versions since then (though I adore the 25th anniversary one too), the 2004 movie is the standard to which all others are held up to and compared. lol

Me to, I mean I had read the Leroux novel in my childhood, but I'd never seen any real version of POTO before I saw the 2004 film. In many ways Gerry will always be my favorite Phantom because he was the first I fell in love with, although yes I love the 25th Show (Ramin's voice is to die for lol) their are a few other Phantom's I've watched on Youtube that I like as well, but Gerry will always be number one in my heart. :)

Ok I watched the film again a few nights ago, the audience was much more lively this time and as the film came to it's end several women jumped up and actually applauded! :mrgreen:

A few things about the end that I loved:

When Belle and the Prince are dancing together in celebration, she teases him about 'growing a beard', and in response he playfully growls at her causing several people to jump in their seats, lol. I loved that both Belle's comment about 'growing a beard' :P ...of course she fell in love with him when he was covered in fur, lol, she's still getting used to his handsome human features, so a beard might help her 'transition' :rofl:, such a cute moment.

And the Prince throwing a growl at Belle, was a nice touch because probably the biggest hurdle a viewer might have with regards to this story is understanding that the Beast and Prince are the same person ( it was only the outside that physically changed) so this was a 'smile inducing moment' to assure us (and Belle) that... "your Beast is still their Princess...he just lost his fur" ;)

And honeyphan since you haven't seen the Animated Film, (the scene plays out the same) I don't know if you caught how Belle recognizes the Beast in the end after he turns into the Prince...he still has his blue eyes. I was hoping they would keep that aspect from the Animated Film and they did, but I really love how the Prince doesn't approach Belle in the end, he let's HER come up to him, he let's her take her time as he doesn't want to frighten her. I love how Dan plays this moment...you can see how much he loves her all over his face, how badly he wants to touch her, but he let's her make the first move in the end. :love: that moment is so beautiful leading up to their kiss... I know that is one scene I"ll be rewatching on repeat when I get the DVD.

I also loved how they bookended the beginning and ending of the film...when the movie opens the Prince, all glamed up in make-up and elaborate clothing is dancing his way from woman to woman, obviously enjoying how they all fawn over him, the song 'Aria' is even about what a playboy the Prince is.

But at the end of the film the Prince ONLY dances with Belle, and in fact he can't take is eyes off her for a second. His style has also gotten much more relaxed and natural, no make-up or elaborate wigs and costumes.
Rose

Next

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO