Beauty and the Beast 2017

Re: Beauty and the Beast 2017

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:00 pm

Great discussion ladies! :angel2:

I loved the new live action version of Beauty and the Beast. You don't even know how excited I was when I found out my favorite Disney movie of all time would be turned into a live action movie...and at the same time how scared I was that my favorite Disney movie of all time would become a live action film :rofl: I was so worried they would change it too much...like they did with their previous animated-to-live action films. But I was actually very pleased with this film.

I loved the changes they did make to the film...making Maurice an artist/ tinkerer (instead of strictly an inventor) and I loved the idea of Belle being more of the inventor--thus showing us that she doesn't belong in her village and giving more of a reason (besides her love of reading) as to why the village thinks she's a "funny girl". I also LOVED the additional songs, one of my favorites being Evermore, which was so heartbreaking the first time I heard it. I thought it was so poignant how the Beast was continually climbing his tower while he was singing that song so as to keep Belle in his sight until he could no longer see her. :hearts: I also loved the song Maurice sings "How Does a Moment Last Forever" --such sweet lyrics in that song, and the fact that he was making a music box which showed perhaps his last pleasant memory of his wife before she fell ill with the plague... :( so sweet. "Days in the Sun" was also a good addition...kind of reminded me of Human Again from the musical version...as far as the "objects" yearning to be normal again and have their lives back.
And I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I did love when Lumiere and Cogsworth take Belle to her room, that you hear a bit of the score from the song Home from the musical version....sort of a nice nod to the musical they did there.

As far as the ending, THAT definitely tugs at the heartstrings doesn't it. :( I actually thought that was a great way to emphasize the impact of the curse.
"I am not really wicked, love me and you will see!
All I wanted was to be loved for myself..."
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby Rose » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm

ThePhantomsSiren Wrote

I was so worried they would change it too much...like they did with their previous animated-to-live action films. But I was actually very pleased with this film.

I was a bit worried about that as well, although I thought Cinderella was OK, (not as good as the Animated Film), I personally thought Maleficent was a complete disaster and frankly an insult to the Animated Film which I also grew up loving. I didn't see Jungle Book because it just frankly didn't interest me, I was never a big fan of the Animated Version either.

So I was cautiously optimistic about Beauty and the Beast, I think the smartest thing they did was keeping it a musical...the music of BATB is as essential to Disney's version of the story as the music is to Webber's Version of POTO, it would have been a disaster if they'd cut the songs out. Frankly I think this is true as well for most of the Renaissance Era Disney films like 'The Little Mermaid' or 'Aladdin', the music is too ingrained within the story that to cut the songs out would be like cutting out the heart of those films. Hence if they continue to make live-action versions of Disney Films (which it seems most likely they will after the box office success they've had with their live -action versions) they would be wise to take a page from BATB and keep the songs intact.

I loved the changes they did make to the film...making Maurice an artist/ tinkerer (instead of strictly an inventor) and I loved the idea of Belle being more of the inventor--thus showing us that she doesn't belong in her village and giving more of a reason (besides her love of reading) as to why the village thinks she's a "funny girl".

That's something I loved as well, because Emma was involved with the film I know a lot of people were worried that she'd make Belle too 'modern' so to speak because Emma is a big time Feminist in real life. But it was a lot of worry for nothing as I don't feel it was overplayed or Belle was made anymore of the feisty characters she already was in the Animated Film...inventing a primitive washing machine so she can spend her time reading? Yeah I could picture the Animated Belle doing the same thing lol. What I felt was nice addition was showing the townspeople's reactions to her teaching the little girl how to read, and then destroying her 'washing machine' in retaliation.

It showed how in actuality the townspeople only expressed admiration for her when it came to her looks, but in everything else she was really despised.

That was something I frankly never got much of a feeling for in the Animated Film, everyone seems rather nice to Belle in the town (until Gaston riles them up again her) sure they sing about how she's 'funny' and 'different' but I don't think we get the full understanding of just how LONLEY is must have been for Belle, and the fact is if she wasn't beautiful...she would probably have been as hated as... Erik. Her looks were really the only thing that made the villagers tolerate her, but as we see they have no problem destroying her property and shutting down any attempt she made towards sharing her views with others.

Another change I really liked was that Belle had to get her books from the CHURCH, and from the looks of it was the Pastors private collection he was letting her read. This is an improvement from the animated film in my opinion because when you think of it...it's a little village, why would their be a bookstore in a town where nobody has much use for reading? The only other place with books would probably be the school but they cleverly show that only the BOYS were allowed to enter the school, girls werent' allowed to get an education (hence their anger at Belle teaching the little girl to read) so it makes sense that Belle would have to get her books from the Church (I also loved the Pastor in the film, he's really the only person in the village who shows any real compassion and kindness to Belle, as he not only let's her borrow his books but he's the only one who helps her after the townsfolk destroy her washing machine).

This just showcases Belle's awe when Beast gives her his library as she literally went from six books to thousands, no wonder the gift meant so much to her.

I also LOVED the additional songs, one of my favorites being Evermore, which was so heartbreaking the first time I heard it. I thought it was so poignant how the Beast was continually climbing his tower while he was singing that song so as to keep Belle in his sight until he could no longer see her. :hearts:

One thing I want to address about that scene is the fact that Belle is still in her yellow gown when she leaves.

So it's literally like she is this one spot of sunshine in his cold gray world that the Beast is watching leave him.
Rose

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:16 pm

Rose wrote:I was a bit worried about that as well, although I thought Cinderella was OK, (not as good as the Animated Film), I personally thought Maleficent was a complete disaster and frankly an insult to the Animated Film which I also grew up loving. I didn't see Jungle Book because it just frankly didn't interest me, I was never a big fan of the Animated Version either.

:clap: Yes! I agree wholeheartedly with you on that note...I hated what they did with Maleficent. Though having seen Jungle Book, it wasn't all that bad--but they did change a lot of things from the animated version.

Rose wrote:That's something I loved as well, because Emma was involved with the film I know a lot of people were worried that she'd make Belle too 'modern' so to speak because Emma is a big time Feminist in real life. But it was a lot of worry for nothing as I don't feel it was overplayed or Belle was made anymore of the feisty characters she already was in the Animated Film...inventing a primitive washing machine so she can spend her time reading? Yeah I could picture the Animated Belle doing the same thing lol. What I felt was nice addition was showing the townspeople's reactions to her teaching the little girl how to read, and then destroying her 'washing machine' in retaliation.

Same here!
I also loved that Belle was teaching the little girl how to read and just the fact that the little girl admired Belle as well--I mean, the little girl was happy to be learning to read--she didn't think Belle was odd, but saw someone she could look up to, and perhaps was just as curious as Belle. Perhaps Belle saw that the little girl felt the same as she did---and saw a bit of herself in that little girl, which perhaps is why she decided to teach her how to read.

Rose wrote:One thing I want to address about that scene is the fact that Belle is still in her yellow gown when she leaves.
So it's literally like she is this one spot of sunshine in his cold gray world that the Beast is watching leave him.

Beautifully said Rose!
ThePhantomsSiren

Postby ThePhantomsSiren » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:40 pm

I have been really inspired to make a new Phantom video since my recent journey to Paris and especially after seeing the stage show, and like I have said here already- one of my favorite new songs from Beauty and the Beast is Evermore. So, I recently made a video with the two and thought I would share it here...if that's okay? ;) This song is just so moving and full of heartache that it screamed Erik to me upon my first listen. What do you think?

ThePhantomsSiren

Postby Godzuki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:11 pm

I finally saw BatB!!!!!! :yay: :banana: But please bear with me, im typing with one hand, I somehow hurt my right hand and am icing it right now. It should be better in a few days…

Some thoghts, more to come:
Belle invented the first washing machine, eh? Lol well of course it would be a woman, right? :clap: ;) :P

Were they married at the end? I looked for rings, but they were swirling, dancing and I couldn’t tell. The flowers said wedding to me though :hearts: lol.

Ok I know the cartoon kiss was exactly that, a cartoon kiss, but man I loved it- slow and deep and just sinking into it woooo! I was surprised cuz Disney kisses have usually been so chaste. So I wondered, would this movie live up to it? My answer: oh my, yes!! I want to see it again!!!! Loved the eye contact, body language and playfulness EW&DS brought to their roles :clap:

This gaston was darker, leaving belles dad to the wolves and threatening Le fou (sp?). He was a fantastic Gaston, but I prefer him more over the top (“every last inch of me is covered in hair” lol) than dark.

Loved the new songs, they fit well imo. I liked the joy of the Beast when Belle returned, you could really hear it in his voice and see it inhis facial expressions and body language. She didn’t want him to jump towards her, she was worried he couldn’t make it, but he was so joyful he couldn’t help himself.

Honey I loved this:
Honey wrote:I loved how we did not truly see the prince until he turned around at the end. First we see him in bizarre makeup- like a mask- to disguise what he is and obliterate any beauty there. Good choice to do that. Then as a frightful looking beast who is bitter and in despair. And finally, when he has learned what it is to love and be loved, they reveal his countenance - changed and beautiful, no wig or mask - but the purity of who he now is (something it could not be at the beginning, since he had no beauty in him, only superficial in looks).

Made me think of Erik and how we don’t see his face for awhile. In the FL lair scene, when he has no mask and C is kissing him as he is, we see his true self: the one who loves her and does what is best for her

Rose wrote:And honeyphan since you haven't seen the Animated Film, (the scene plays out the same) I don't know if you caught how Belle recognizes the Beast in the end after he turns into the Prince...he still has his blue eyes. I was hoping they would keep that aspect from the Animated Film and they did, but I really love how the Prince doesn't approach Belle in the end, he let's HER come up to him, he let's her take her time as he doesn't want to frighten her. I love how Dan plays this moment...you can see how much he loves her all over his face, how badly he wants to touch her, but he let's her make the first move in the end. that moment is so beautiful leading up to their kiss... I know that is one scene I"ll be rewatching on repeat when I get the DVD.

Rose that was beautiful, ITA

cant wait to chat more with you, have lots ofposts to catch up on!!!!
Godzuki

Postby Godzuki » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 pm

Ooo, I also wanted to add that I loved the addition of the magical book that lets you travel to other places! I loved that they went together and learned a bit about each other in the process: Belle sees that the Beast showed concern for her when he saw the doctors mask (and figured out that Belle’s Mom died from the plague). The Beast saw that Belle,even though she was in Paris and could see anything, just wanted to see her Mom and the home they started out in, he saw what was important to her. I’m such a mom though that I didn’t want Belle to touch the rose baby rattle, I was worried it still had plague germs on it! :ohno:

I forget how many weeks the movie has been showing, but was impressed to see how many people were in the theatre, most movies don't last this long or bring in this many people this far into the release. I think people need a story like this right now, one that gives hope :love:
Godzuki

Postby Rose » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 am

Hey Godzuki, Happy Easter! :yay:

I'm so glad you finally saw BATB! :mrgreen:

I loved the addition of the magical book that lets you travel to other places! I loved that they went together and learned a bit about each other in the process: Belle sees that the Beast showed concern for her when he saw the doctors mask (and figured out that Belle’s Mom died from the plague). The Beast saw that Belle,even though she was in Paris and could see anything, just wanted to see her Mom and the home they started out in, he saw what was important to her. I’m such a mom though that I didn’t want Belle to touch the rose baby rattle, I was worried it still had plague germs on it! :ohno:

Two things about that scene that I loved...the first is the magic book itself. Previously I had mentioned the fact that the Enchantress didn't come across so evil in this version as she did in the Animated Version. In this film she didn't just curse the Prince and disappear, in this version she hung around (living in the village in disguise) to obviously keep an eye on things. She saved Maurice's life which for me proved that she was not evil but working for the greater good. The Prince needed to be humbled before he could open up his heart to anyone outside of himself... and that's what Agatha did, she humbled him by taking away everything that made him arrogant and selfish (his good looks, his status as ruler, etc). Much like an addict having to hit rock bottom before they can heal...the Prince had to hit bottom, he had to be stripped down once again to the vulnerable child he was before his father messed him up. Only this time instead of having someone inspire him to be cruel (like his Father) he as someone to inspire him to be good (Belle) ;)

But what does this all have to do with the book...it's another indication that Agatha didn't curse him just to be evil. She truly WANTED him to learn his lesson and break the spell because she GAVE HIM A TOOL TO FIND SOMONE TO LOVE. In the Animated Film, I always wondered how the Enchantress expected the Beast to 'find someone to love and be loved in return' in that isolated castle with only a small village within walking distance? He's in the country probably hundreds of miles from people...how could he possibly find someone even if he wasn't determined to hole himself up in the castle away from civilization?

But in this version the Enchantress gave him a way...if he wanted to use it. A book that could take him anywhere in the world, what purpose would she have given it to him if it wasn't intended for him to use to find someone to love? But the Beast didn't use it "The world is no place for a creature like me"...he's too ashamed of his own ugliness. So the fact that Belle literally ended up COMING TO HIM was just a stroke of luck, or was it? ;) Their is something awfully suspicious to me of that lighting just happening to strike the tree branch therefore forcing Maurice to take the road to the Castle... I still think Agatha had something to do with that, because she knew the Beast was just surrendering to his fate and refusing to do anything about it, she had to take matters into her own hands, lol

The second thing I loved about that scene was just as you wrote...it gave us another moment of connection between Belle and Beast. The fact that they both lost their mother's when they were young was another thing they had in common. I also really love how the Beast had made the comment earlier that "The world is no place for a creature like me" but when he's with Belle he's suddenly eager to explore Paris with her before noticing theirs something wrong, and that this isn't a means of escape for Belle, this is her needing to seek closure for her past...it's cute nonetheless as it shows when he's with her he suddenly isn't so self conscious of his looks. I also love how they both show, with one comment, in that scene how much they are coming to care for the other. "I"m sorry I ever called your father a thief", "Let's go home".

Beast appologizes to Belle for how he treated her father, and Belle, maybe without even realizing it, calls the Castle 'home' ;) and we know that Belle never felt at home in the village, but she feels at home in the castle...says a lot.
Last edited by Rose on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:14 am, edited 8 times in total.
Rose

Postby Rose » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am

PhantomsSiren that was beautiful! Great work :clap:

And a Happy Easter! :)
Rose

Postby Godzuki » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:51 am

Rose wrote:Hey Godzuki, Happy Easter! :yay:
Happy Easter!!!! :love: :hugs: :angel2:

I'm so glad you finally saw BATB! :mrgreen:
I was starting to think I wouldn't get to see it for awhile! My 16 yo said "Why would you go watch something that is the exact same thing as the cartoon?" and I had to remind her that POTO is my fave story of all time and that I've seen many different versions of it and never get tired. Same deal for BatB :mrgreen:

But what does this all have to do with the book...it's another indication that Agatha didn't curse him just to be evil. She truly WANTED him to learn his lesson and break the spell because she GAVE HIM A TOOL TO FIND SOMONE TO LOVE. In the Animated Film, I always wondered how the Enchantress expected the Beast to 'find someone to love and be loved in return' in that isolated castle with only a small village within walking distance? He's in the country probably hundreds of miles from people...how could he possibly find someone even if he wasn't determined to hole himself up in the castle away from civilization?
I never even realized that until you pointed it out :time: LOL

But in this version the Enchantress gave him a way...if he wanted to use it. A book that could take him anywhere in the world, what purpose would she have given it to him if it wasn't intended for him to use to find someone to love? But the Beast didn't use it "The world is no place for a creature like me"...he's too ashamed of his own ugliness. So the fact that Belle literally ended up COMING TO HIM was just a stroke of luck, or was it? ;) Their is something awfully suspicious to me of that lighting just happening to strike the tree branch therefore forcing Maurice to take the road to the Castle... I still think Agatha had something to do with that, because she knew the Beast was just surrendering to his fate and refusing to do anything about it, she had to take matters into her own hands, lol
awww

Beast appologizes to Belle for how he treated her father, and Belle, maybe without even realizing it, calls the Castle 'home' ;) and we know that Belle never felt at home in the village, but she feels at home in the castle...says a lot.
He looked so happy when she said "home" :hearts:

BTW did the prince have a name? I've heard that the cartoon prince was Prince Adam, but I honestly never heard anyone call him that either in the cartoon or the live version. Have I just missed it all this time? I hate to keep calling him “the Beast” cuz you know he has a name LOL
Godzuki

Postby Godzuki » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:42 pm

https://twitter.com/enews/status/852547 ... 3187273%2F

UGH I wish I could figure out how to post images so you guys can see them, but basically the above is a tweet with the news that BatB is the "highest-grossing live-action movie musical in history, grossing $1 billion worldwide"!!!!!!
Godzuki

PreviousNext

Return to Board index

Return to Discuss All Things PotO