Scene Summary of "Down Once More" - part 5 - 2004 movie

For those who believe, or want to, that there was more to the story...

Scene Summary of "Down Once More" - part 5 - 2004 movie

Postby honeyphan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Scene Summary of "Down Once More"- Final part (part 5)

continued from last post...

Meg enters the lair—well ahead of the others. She has a cross around her neck, one she’s never had before this—showing she is for the light and for the king, again, we know this because of the symbolic bag of coins—payment—to keep the mob away, etc. She was the only woman to dress in pants for the opera. Behind her, the police approach and I wonder if they can even see her. Just a thought, but I wonder if she’s visible to them (this is a fantasy). And earlier they didn’t show her with the mob ... Behind her, outside the entrance of the lair they show a secret passage—they have never shown this before—it was a rock wall. I think this might be there now as a clue to show that Erik did get away.

She stops to look at mirrors—which are again close together—on top of each other—and are no longer wide apart. The places struck are all on the left—and the phantom with chain that was sitting by mannequin chamber is now gone--there is just a wall there.

I feel all this shows that the entrance to the supernatural spirit world has not only been blocked, but destroyed. Phantom has been defeated and retreated ... the mannequin seems further back in the alcove than before, when Erik broke the mirrors, and the veil is again on the ground, but this isn’t surprising. I feel when we saw the Christine mannequin seem about to burst out of the chamber with the veil on before Erik smashed the mirrors it was one of those “now you see it, didja catch it?” clues they put off to the side. Also note, there are still 4 lit candles, showing Erik was there. No longer any reflections of any candles that showed before in the two mirrors though. But the one candle (Christine) is still lit.

She runs up to Erik’s bedroom. As she gets there, a definite shape sparkles on the wall where Christine had been standing but wasn't shown before--when you zoom, it looks like a turtledove (symbolic of Venus, goddess of love and beauty, symbolic of Christine). The wall beyond that is flat--no sparkle--except where some water drips down away from this shape.

Meg's pants are now dry—and I feel this could be due to two possible things. An underground lake symbolizes magic in the symbols chart. Since the king has broken the darkness of his kingdom, the magic no longer has effect over the people. Also, I wonder if in this fantasy story she's a true guardian angel, one who had to mature (A clue to this possibility is when she was called a blonde angel by the directors, and also that they showed her vanished in last mob scene). The only people they ever showed to wear a cross around their necks were Raoul and Madame Giry—and now Meg. Raoul and M. Giry were both priests of light and darkness in this fantasy, and Meg has been growing into her role—as protector/guide for the light. The black ribbon is gone from her hair also. It slipped out when she was running from mob. M. Giry earlier renounced the darkness and now serves the light—first time we clearly see her cross is after this, though they hinted at it in PONR. Those they have shown as “priests” (those who serve) in this hidden story are the only ones to wear crosses around their necks.

The music box is turned in a different position than when Erik left lair—and is now facing the mask. The box is now black and doesn’t look like it did throughout the movie.

First picture is in “I Remember”—

And now DOM:

Erik has left box and all it means behind—in French subtitles he sings to the music box--“hide well the colors inside you”—but he is no longer hiding in a “masquerade”. The red and gold—the kingdom colors—have been stripped away. Erik has destroyed his kingdom—and now box appears plain and devoid of its former glory. A few think it could be black now because Phantom has hidden inside box. Whatever is the case, I still strongly believe the music box in movie symbolizes Erik. And Phantom is no longer with him.

They show 3 candles are lit outside bedroom when before there were 4 —the placement is different too, so it’s not just about one of them not showing—and this shows Phantom is still there. He’s not with the king any longer—Erik destroyed his power over him. To the left of Meg is that white castle under glass globe—but there are no longer two candles there to shine on it like earlier—phantom control is completely gone from Erik. Now it seems lit from within, perhaps showing Erik has gone to the light. When I zoomed—it resembles one of the gates to La Feria in Seville—Festival of lights. (From his drawings) Held before Easter week, this was a religious feast/festival—all about the light, etc.

Before:

After:

Also there now appears to be a family portrait on the wall that wasn’t there before. Something else interesting—they didn’t show this in MOTN or when Erik sang to the music box, but now what appears to be a cradle/ baby bed from that time period is sitting there, with what looks like a white blanket with green embroidery over it. (Showing us that Christine and Erik will have children maybe, since it said she did on her headstone. It is both red, Erik's color, and green, her color.)

Meg picks up the mask, looks at it as though in sympathy, and takes it. She hears someone coming and leaves in the direction of the secret passage they showed earlier. She is of the light—they even show her cross up higher on her throat so we’ll be sure to see it—no evil was intended—the power of the mask is broken. That happened when Erik broke the mirrors and the Phantom control over his life. So in taking the mask back to him, she was again acting as his guardian, to protect him from people outside who could harm him. I don’t believe the mask symbolized evil any longer. Phantom power had been destroyed over the king’s life.

And so, to quote the summary of Robert le Diable, “darkness is dispelled, human nature is redeemed and faith is triumphant!” (And from me—in this fantasy, ALL the clues that the main story has shown from POTO intro up through now strongly point to Erik marrying Christine, his queen of the musical realm and his countess in the world outside the opera house kingdom. :rose:)

**COMPANION BOOK CLUES**

This is underlined and capped in companion book:

THE PHANTOM has vanished, leaving only his WHITE MASK.
(White signified a corrupt ruler in symbolism of masks—the Phantom meaning Erik.)

Camera moves into the BLACK EYE HOLE OF THE MASK as we dissolve to RAOUL'S EYE. (Could be to show the importance of the eye of gold in the b & w scene and also that “gold eye” symbolizes phantom)

A few differences in companion—she unveils many mirrors, not just one, and I already mentioned about the wedding dress, but here’s the way they described the kiss. Also remember, the Phantom they mention is Erik:

She calmly puts the ring on her finger and kisses him full on the lips. She pulls away, tears streaming down her cheeks. The PHANTOM is stunned. Then, she leans toward him and embraces him again. But this time the kiss is long and deep. A lover’s kiss. As it ends, they look straight into each other’s eyes. The PHANTOM is crying, devastated. He has never known human love. CHRISTINE’S gesture—her sacrifice and at the same time commitment—are too much for this tragic man to bear.

And this:

She stands before him and we think she’s going to stay but instead she takes off her ring and places it on his finger. She hurries off. We stay on him as he hears:

CHRISTINE (in distance)
Say you’ll share with me one love one lifetime.

RAOUL:
Say the word, and I will follow you.

203. Int. PHANTOM’S LAIR/CANAL—NIGHT

The PHANTOM comes out of the bedroom and sees, through the descending grill, the boat disappearing into the darkness of the underground canal. CHRISTINE is looking back at him. She seems to be singing for him.

CHRISTINE:
Share each day with me … each night … each morning …
She disappears still looking at him.

To me this shows me what the creators had in mind—If you put a ring on someone’s finger (and notice they called it “her ring”), that is a sign of commitment, but even more—it is a sign of a ceremony. She was accepting him as her husband, like an informal marriage ceremony between them or a betrothal. That they make it a point to say she seems to be singing this love song for him appears to be a clue that she was singing for him (and we know she was from other clues they've shown in movie at this point)—also them saying she continues to look at him as she sings and the boat disappears makes it all about Erik.

p. 138-39: The two-page spread shows a behind the scenes shot of Christine standing in the boat and Raoul sitting, both of them looking back toward lair. Red is in her hair and in the whole set that is supposed to be predominantly green (no red was in set at this point). Her sleeves are up not down. Two crewmembers stand nearby; one wears a red shirt under his black wetsuit and carries a green/white container; under the black wetsuit of the other guy he has on a shirt with the face of an ape but it appears to be wearing clothes. There is also red on his indigo colored shirt.

P. 141—the pic of Meg—she is completely red, as are some of the others, in this green setting. And her cross doesn’t show.

P. 142-43: Two-page spread shows him break the last mirror—and makes it more obvious that the bottom was also struck—though he didn’t strike it but once. His face is completely red—perhaps, again, showing that is his color.

**SPANISH SUBTITLES TRANSLATIONS BY Phantommyangel & Promiseme & Co.** :

ERIK:
Masquerade
Carnaval
Carnival

Paper faces on parade...
Mascarada aritifical
Artificial masquerade

Hide your face so the world will never find you...
Carnaval
¿Qué se oculta en
Un rostro enmascarado?
What is hidden in a masked face?

from honey: this could relate to the fact that Phantom is hidden within

Christine, I love you
Christine, te amo
Christine, I love you

from honey: The word they use to describe "love" when Erik sings it here is different than the word they used when Raoul sang it in AIAOY--here, with Erik, it means a deep romantic love.
With Raoul, word used for "love" meant to adore; but translator said it wasn't the word for deep love but more of a familial type love

CHRISTINE:
Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime
Di que en nuestra vida
Hay esperanza
Say that in our life there is hope

from honey: She is asking him to give her assurance that it will all work out and he will come to her.
Earlier when she was hurt/angry, she sang “we had such hopes and now those hopes are shattered”—now she’s asking him for hope again. She is asking him to “Recall those days, look back on all those times…”—and make the decision she wants him to make. To come to her.

RAOUL:
Say the word and I will follow you...
Dilo
Y voy a donde vayas tú
Say the word and I will go where you go

CHRISTINE: (looking back at him, and here we see her mouth isn't moving--she's singing in his mind):
Share each day with me, each night, each morning...
Que si estás conmigo
Nada importa
If you are with me, nothing else matters

from honey: She's letting him know that no matter what has happened and what all he’s done—If he’s with her, that is all that's important to her.

ERIK:
You alone, can make my song take flight.
Sólo tú me inspiras
De verdad
Only you inspire me, that's the truth

from honey: sounds reassuring to me

It's over now the music of the night!
Morirá
Mi música
En la noche
My music in the night will die!

from honey: Yep, and it did. His love/dependency on the darkness dies--and it's here he makes his decision.)

**FRENCH SUBTITLES TRANSLATIONS BY Phantomrose07 & Co.**

Masquerade
Mascarade
Masquerade

Paper faces on parade
Maints profils sont en parade.
Many profiles are in parade.

Masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you
Mascarade, Cachez bien les couleurs qui vivent en vous.
Masquerade, Hide well the colors which live inside you.

Christine, I love you
Christine, je t’aime tant …
Christine, I love you so much...

Say you’ll share with me one love one lifetime
Sache longtemps
Me dire
Combien tu m’aimes.
Realize a long time to tell me how much you love me.

Say the word and I will follow you.
Trouble-moi
En inventant demain …
Disturb me
while inventing tomorrow

another translation: Get rid of trouble by going to tomorrow

from honey—this makes sense for telling Erik to leave there, leave the trouble (mob/phantom), and go to the future Christine has offered him.

Share each day with me each night each morning
Si tu m’aimes, alors
Alors la vie
M’enchante …
If you love me, then
Then this life enchants Me...

You alone can make my song take flight
Dans ma nuit j’ai attendu
Ta voix.
In my night I awaited your voice.

It’s over now, the music of the night
Jamais la nuit
Ne chantera
Pour moi ...
Never the night will sing for me...

Before I go to the Italian, this was AIAOY for these same words: (and yeah, I know I still need to get the French up for AIAOY summary. I will soon, after all summaries are up. :heart: But notice—the words are all different than above, though words are exactly the same in English. And the way they did this was another huge hint as to the end of this story…):

Christine, in AIAOY, to Raoul:

Say you’ll share with me one love, one lifetime...
Ce soir cheris-moi d’un mot, d’un geste
Tonight cherish me with a word, a gesture

Say the word, and I will follow you....
Sur un oui, je te sais aussitot
over one yes, I know you at once

Share each day with me, each night, each morning...
Chaque instant fais-moi, toucher les anges
Each moment make me, touch the angels

And this is what Erik sang in PONR:

Sache longtemps
Me dire
Combien
Tu m’aimes.

Then Christine sang this in DOM:

Sache longtemps
Me dire
Combien tu m’aimes.

Erik in PONR:
Say you want me with you here beside you
Si tu m’aimes, alors
La vie
M’enchante…
If you love me, then
Then this life enchants me

Then Christine sang in DOM:
Si tu m’aimes, alors
Alors la vie
M’enchante …
If you love me, then
Then this life enchants Me...

Christine is singing exactly what Erik did on the bridge in PONR—as if she is repeating Erik's vow/promise—even though in English the words are sometimes different. She did not sing these words for the translations of AIAOY, as shown above (check your dvd--it's really interesting)—but the translations are the same only during PONR bridge scene, when he proposed, and DOM, as if she’s now answering his proposal. As if they are sharing future vows/promises toward each other here—and offering each other the hope she asked from him in Spanish subtitles. :heart:

**ITALIAN TRANSLATIONS by Angelofdarknss & Co.**

Paper faces on parade
Masquerade...per beffare la beltà
Masquerade…to mock the beauty

Masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you
Masquerade...neanche tu lo saprai chi sei davvero...
Masquerade…not even you know who you really are…

Christine, I love you
Christine, ti amo...
Christine, I love you…

Christine: Say you’ll share with me one love one lifetime
Dimmi che tu mi amerai per sempre
Tell me that you will love me forever

RAOUL: Say the word and I will follow you.
Dimmi che mai più mi lascerai
Tell me that you will never leave me

Christine: Share each day with me each night each morning
se tu colmi il vuoto mio d'incanto...
If you fill my emptiness perfectly…

You alone can make my song take flight
Non avrò con me mai gli occhi tuoi...
What pleasure comes from watching your eyes…

It’s over now, the music of the night
Finì la dolce musica per noi!
It has finished the sweet music for us!

Note from translator: In the original, Christine and Raoul sing part of AIAOY, but here they sing exactly what Erik sang in PONR. I glanced over the Italian AIAOY lyrics and Erik's lines are not there. What he sings in PONR is his own.

And here is Erik’s from PONR—DOM copying it exactly, even though words are different in English—the translations are the same. What this shows me is that it wasn’t always about translating words directly from the English—since they used the same translations for completely different phrases in English--but instead it was about giving more clues to the hidden story and giving the conclusion of it, so we know what happened at the end. And whose bride Christine became. :rose: :

ERIK from PONR:
Say you'll share with me one
love, one lifetime . . .

Christine in DOM:

Erik in PONR:
Lead me, save me from my solitude . . .

RAOUL in DOM: Say the word and I will follow you.

Erik in PONR:
Say you want me with
you, here beside you . . .

Se tu colmi il vuoto mio, d'incanto
If you fill my emptiness perfectly

Christine in DOM:
se tu colmi il vuoto mio d'incanto...
If you fill my emptiness perfectly…

From honey—this is exactly what they did in the French translations, and how I showed it there too. Yet another clue, pointing to this song belonging to Christine and Erik and them giving their vows/promises toward one another at the end. Because in AIAOY between her and Raoul--none of these words appear; they only were the same in PONR/bridge and DOM (regardless if English matched or not), and is yet another clue that this love song is not between Raoul and Christine, but instaed it belongs to Erik and Christine. It is their song.

The sweet music being finished has to do with the Music of the Night—and sweet music’s throne. MOTN is over now--it's AIOAY that they ended with--and it's AIAOY that they will continue with, because Erik is going to the light of day.

The music between them in their kingdom was the only beautiful thing he and Christine shared (besides their love)--why he may have called it "sweet"-- but now I think he's telling the Phantom that the music that jailer had intended for Erik and Christine to have/play eternally is now over. Because every other clue shows she became Erik’s, so I doubt he’s directing these words to her. She's already gone. But more these words are about her and what they shared there in the kingdom. Because at this point when he sings about the music of the night being over, he's about to end his alliance with the Phantom spirit, (whom they show when he sings this)-- as Christine has been wanting/asking/hoping Erik will do throughout entire movie: end the darkness controlling him, and leave the lair/kingdom behind to join her in the light. Thus, the resolution of this epic story: Erik is at last triumphant and love prevails ... light wins and darkness is dispelled.

**SOUND SIMILARITIES by Redrose**

Masquerade when music box plays
AIAOY when Christine comes back to him
MOTN when Phantom watches them leave (again ties in with AIAOY title phrase)

**MUSICAL ANALYSIS by Phantom’s Star**

Harp: thinking Note: I think this is what the sounds stand for.
Flute: a calling
of Angel (Angel of Music)
Cymbals: Angel is there, or near (brush of cymbals)—loud crash—he is fully there.

19) Flute—(very high) right before “leave me alone” as Erik is leaving the water. I think Christine is calling back to Erik since she looks confused by what he’s doing. We again hear the flute (same high sound) as Erik says, “Don’t let them find you.” Again, I think Christine is calling to Erik since he is telling them to leave, and her facial expressions show she doesn’t want to.

20) Harp—as Christine looks down at the ring and the melody of AIAOY begins, the harp begins as well and continues for the entire time Christine is again thinking only of Erik, focusing her attention on him.

21) Flute—right before Christine places the ring in Erik’s hand. We hear the flute (it is right before the shot we see of her placing it in his hand.) I think Christine is calling to Erik and telling him he now has a choice (she’s not giving up.)

22) Harp—Christine continues with AIAOY where Erik left off in PONR. Another reason why I think she’s singing to him. Also, the cymbals in AIAOY crashed a bit before Christine started to sing this verse on the rooftop. So again, I think it was a foreshadowing for this point)

Say you’ll share with me one love, one lifetime
Say the word and I will follow you
Share each day with me
Each night, each morning

We hear the harp during these lines and this melody. I think this is further proof that Christine is thinking of her Angel and singing to him.
Since the harp is also on the line Raoul sings, he is also thinking of Erik (as HW said) and offering his protection to Erik.

23) “It’s over now the music of the night.”—this is all Erik here. We hear the cymbals crash as he breaks the first mirror, after he breaks the second one, and as he hits the third mirror for the second time. The think about the sound of these cymbals is that they start off strong but seem to decrease in sound. I think this means Erik is going to be leaving his lair, no that the Phantom’s spirit is returning.

As Erik looks at the broken mirror and then starts to walk through the broken mirror, we hear the brushing of harp strings (twice.) Erik is leaving his lair (as we soon see, or at leas hear) and thinking of Christine (his Angel of Music.) When we see the shot of his shoes, we again hear the brushing of cymbals, not as loud as the earlier ones. Again, he is leaving his lair, probably never to return.

24) The time that we heard as the black curtain closed over Christine in MOTN and on the rooftop when Raoul was leading Christine (before he started to sing AIAOY) is the same tune we hear as Meg looks at the white mask and the camera then switches to focus just on the music box. The difference is before we heard the brushing of cymbals. In this scene we hear no cymbals. I think this means that Erik is gone, not just from his lair, but from relying on the Phantom’s spirit (since we see Meg looking at the mask) and from relying on its comfort/escape that is the music box. Instead, the flute has replaced the cymbals (hard to hear it but it’s there). Question is who is calling to Erik (since the music box symbolizes him and the camera is focusing on it?) To be honest, I think we (the audience) are being called to take in what just happened and find the meaning behind it. it’s in a box but once released, we’ll be astounded, which is why I also think the music box turns black. Erik is released, freed.

Link to The Auction - click to read

Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Return to Board index

Return to Hidden Plot