Scene summary of The Final Scene

For those who believe, or want to, that there was more to the story...

Postby honeyphan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Paragraph summary: Raoul reaches the cemetery, his objective, to place the music box, symbolizing Erik, on Christine’s grave. He stays only a short time, and turns to go—when the rose catches his eye—as does the one to whom he earlier asked the question….

I have reached these conclusions when putting together all the symbolism that was shown for entire movie. This, then, is my idea of the ending based on all that has happened before…

They show the monkey music box fading from color to black and white in Raoul’s lap. He’s being wheeled over rough ground and his head is shaking because of that. Now they show Christine’s grave. There is no rose on it. They show an angel above the headstone; it is in a kneeling position on one leg, as if it is protecting the one who lies beneath and paying homage—right arm crossed over breast, head bowed, as the statues she passed in WYWSHA. Look at the front edge of the headstone to see there is no rose there either. There are leaves in a straight line along the outside corner, but nothing near the headstone itself. When they show the rose, the black ribbon is flush against the stone and the rose is at an angle--no rose here.

Everything in cemetery appears to be as it was in 1870—including the shrouded figure on the grave in the background. This is important to note—no new statues have been added. The only new addition is Christine’s grave.

The music starts of No One Would Listen. . .(because NOWL was a deleted scene, we can assume that this is what they had in mind since LTBL was added after the movie was made.) They show the back of the box, and the wind-up thing appears in the shape of an eye. Not sure if that means anything—all windup boxes I've seen look like this, though they usually have a knob too. Assuming it is a clue, this might fit in with the other eyes they show, which seem to point to the phantom spirit (Raoul’s eye to gold—“eye of gold, true is false”), levels of stairs in DOM in shape of an eye, back of mirror forming an eye before he hits it, gold eye flashing in PONR over the gendarme, etc.) to show the phantom spirit had a hold over Erik. Some gold is evident on box, looking like it did on the front view at auction when at this angle:

They show a close up of “Countess de Chagny Beloved Wife and Mother” with three roses around this. (or is it 4? One is hard to tell) Also, there appears to be 3 daisies on the left, separate from the nosegays, and that could represent the number of children she had—in that historical website about Eric De Changy, (family tree) I remember reading he had three children. I do not in any way think this resembles the phantom, nor anything else about her grave. Throughout entire movie up to the end, she wanted nothing to do with the darkness—she only wanted her Angel. She is now a countess--like in the foreshadowing of Il Muto--Erik wanted her to become a countess there too, was the only one who did want her to be countess, and in that play, and in real life (according to his crests) he was the count.

We see roses and her portrait with what appears to be a black ribbon around her neck.

In some research I did awhile back, I remember reading something about a black ribbon around a rose. In those days, flowers spoke their own silent language. A rose given in the way it was to Christine meant a secret meeting—she was the rose, Erik was the color red in the rose (when it was pink, he was absent from her – and I also recently read in Victorian symbolism of roses, pink means “a lesser love” (the rose was always pink when she was with Raoul) and red means “love”—but somewhere I read that the black ribbon around a rose meant: “master” over the recipient of the rose. The one who gave the rose w/ black ribbon was showing the other that they were their master. Erik always gave her the rose with the black ribbon (NOT Phantom—in fact, when he showed up in the Mirror scene—Erik under Phantom control (and we heard the whisper behind the singing), the rose was suddenly gone from the dressing table and nowhere in sight—they didn’t show it again until they showed it on the floor with three places of black now on it. The Phantom spirit was the one to always put black in the rose, as if signifying he would try to put to death the relationship between Christine and Erik).

Another thing—throughout all of movie, though all of the women wore necklaces or chokers of some sort—Christine never wore anything except for the crystal ring around her neck. Which I felt was done for protection because that is how crystals are/were used (especially in fantasies, which this is). In the cemetery, during what looked like her bridal march, she had a black scarf around her neck, but at no other time in main movie did she wear anything around her neck.

Christine was the rose to Erik (he sang to it when singing about her, put the rose on her drawing, etc)—-and the black ribbon was around her neck. The stem of the rose.
This seems like a strong clue that Erik became her master, her husband, in life. Her hair is up just like it was in Il Muto for the Countess, she is now the countess, and this picture is the only picture on any grave in entire cemetery.

If I knew what those other flowers were, I could research symbolism for them—from a Victorian gravesite symbols chart that someone sent. (Are some forget-me-nots?) But all these symbols on this grave would have been ordered by her husband. He would have chosen what her headstone would look like. So, we have an angel guarding her and paying homage to her (as if to a queen, like in WYWSHA), roses and ribbons galore, and a picture of her (the rose) with a black ribbon tied around her throat.

Erik is the only one who could have done this; Raoul never would have used such symbols because of who they represented--Erik and his relationship with Christine. Erik was the only one to think of Christine as the rose (also in the Venus/goddess symbolism, pertaining to Christine, the rose was associated with/created for Venus, also called Aphrodite). Raoul never brought her roses. These close-ups of the symbols—and the name “Countess” seem further proof that she did marry Erik, who by this time must have learned he was Erik de Chagny, a Count. Perhaps he made the headstone himself, since he was a stonecutter/craftsman/artist. And it was the only one in the graveyard to have a portrait (again, at a time when that would have been historically inaccurate—showing me the director—JS—wanted that picture there for a reason). That headstone was a tribute and a labor of love. I am almost positive Erik made it for her. In those days, graves didn’t have portraits—that this one did seems significant to hidden plot. And the words PORTRAIT OF CHRISTINE are underlined and capped in companion book—showing it’s important. Also, in those days, older women wore ribbons as a device to hold a cameo, brooch etc., and wear it as a choker. I don’t think they would have just put a ribbon around their neck—I believe this was simply a bit of symbolism to show who she belonged to and whom she married.[love]

When we see Raoul, we again see the Venus statue in the background looking his way—perhaps showing that Christine is watching from above since the statue seemed symbolic of her. He almost looks as if he will cry as he stares at her picture—he loved her too.

He gives a little nod, his look one of resigned acceptance. I believe he laid the monkey music box on her grave (symbolizing Angel and Music) to give himself closure, to show he’d finally accepted her choice and not only that, understood it because she and Erik were both Music. Erik made her into a part of himself as former symbolism and words seemed to show. And so, he brought the symbol of the king to her grave to show he had come to terms with that. He doesn’t know that Erik is there too. And he doesn’t know he was at the auction and heard Raoul’s question that he sang in his mind.

He gives a long resigned sigh, swallows, looks down at the ground and gives a nod as if thinking, “Yes, this is as it should have been. Now I can go on and be at peace.” Putting the box on the grave was an act for himself—to gain personal forgiveness, and to seek needed closure.

He turns to go, looks back, and an expression of shock—almost fear—comes across his face. For he sees where it wasn’t before the rose with the ribbon and the ring. He looks around as if searching for something and they show Erik hiding behind the kneeling Angel statue. This also seems a clue that this is Erik there—since he is behind an Angel statue, and he is Angel of Music. (Guardian—keeper—of Music.)

Note the before and after pictures to show that no statue was standing beside angel statue before—and no statue additions have been made to cemetery since WYWSHA. I checked to be sure but could add all the angles of the shots if you’d like to compare. Everything appears as it always was in this “legendary cemetery” as the companion book calls it repeatedly. No statues stood so close to one another in cemetery—and this form has three colors, black, white, and gray—this person is wearing clothing—and a cape. This is Erik. (The car much like Raoul’s that left the cemetery also points to this). And he has been watching Raoul this entire time.

Also, this could be yet another reason the present was in b & w--color would have been a dead giveaway to spotting Erik, something that wouldn’t have worked if they wanted to keep clues subtle and not easy to pick up right away. I posted six pics of Erik hiding behind the statue— zoomed, lighter tint, darker, etc—which might make it easier for some to see. I can also attempt to outline it, but I’m not very good at doing that. (Think back to possible spider in mirror on DOM. lol) But if anyone asks, I’ll try. :rose: The first picture is the kneeling angel statue that Raoul and Erik fought around—they showed this statue from all angles so that it was easy to see that there was nothing standing where Erik is now standing, and I believe that’s why they had them fight around it. So we could see that and remember it for this moment.

Before:

After:

what I see is him facing us with the white mask on the right side of his face--light at the edge of his shoulder and his hair, like they show in another picture I'll show of him in summary when I post that, in the color shot--A long cape, and pointed white at the ends where a shirt/vest, etc. would be . He looks as if he's wearing an ascot, like he did in MOTN.

The thing about the statues--they were all one color--stone--in the cemetery, and none were close to each other. They are also ALL on pedestals. This form shows more than one color--at least three of them--and this form is standing right by Angel statue (also seems symbolic), where nothing ever was before--and no pedestal, though there is a stair there.

Switch to Raoul who’d been looking directly at Erik and from the way they show the shot, he immediately gives a little nod as if he understands. He no longer looks around the cemetery, because he spotted what he was searching for. And I think he now realizes Erik was at the auction and had heard him. He looks back at the rose. Camera zooms and as it does, the rose turns a glorious red and the ring sparkles on the stem.

So the burning questions: Why did the rose turn red? Why did the ring sparkle more than it ever had? Why did this happen right at this moment?

Whose color is red? Red has always stood for Erik in all the clues of movie and companion book. He IS Music. Remember when I said that in a movie a question asked is always answered? Think of Citizen Kane—everyone wondered who Rosebud was…well, here, Raoul sang in his mind and Angel could hear him—“Will you still PLAY when all the rest of us are dead?” "Play" is in reference to music.

I believe from the pattern of symbolism/clues shown, King Music has been silent because he lost his beloved Christine. She was the only one to listen, the only one to care. The only one to “make his song take flight.” He has withdrawn into the shadows again (not meaning the phantom/darkness—we know he hasn’t through several clues shown at auction—such as the ray of light shining down on the monkey box when porter held it, and M. Giry serving Erik and them showing us she still wears the cross she did in PONR)—but he has become solitary and lonely. Raoul probably knew he was going to die soon and needed closure. By singing his song “Will you still play when all the rest of us are dead?”-- which he didn’t even know Erik had heard—Raoul was telling him: “I will listen. Others will listen too."

He was letting Erik know that someone else cared and wanted to hear the music. The music had stopped and the world became b & w because the colors were missing from it—the Music had gone (remember, this is a fantasy.) Christine had died, and Erik no longer cared. Erik heard Raoul’s sincere plea—and it moved him enough to leave the shadows again and go to the cemetery. He knew that Raoul would be there because of what he sang: “ . . .when all the REST of us are dead.” The way they show it, Christine was the only one to die so far.

Here are a few excerpts from “No One Would Listen” to show more of what I mean. It was no mistake that they played this during this scene and right when he approached her grave with the monkey box (symbolizing King Music) —I think it was a clue. Erik sang this in NOWL, and it is to the tune of LTBL, but since NOWL was an intended part of the movie, it is safe to say that it was also intended to tell the rest of the story:

No one would listen
No one but her
Heard as the outcast hears.

I longed to teach the world
Rise up and reach the world
No one would listen
I alone could feel the music

Then at last, a voice in the gloom
Seemed to cry, "I hear you;
I hear your fears,
Your torment and your tears."

She saw my loneliness
Shared in my emptiness
No one would listen
No one but her
Heard as the outcast hears

Christine had been the only one to listen; the only one to care, because she was just like Erik. She shared in his emptiness, she heard him because she was a part of him—they were one spirit—Music. Once she died, a part of him also died, though deep down he longed to teach and reach the world. Now Erik knows that someone else will listen. Someone else besides his beloved Christine wants to be taught—to be reached. Raoul has shown that by returning to Paris just to try to win the music box and then asking it his question—a question Erik heard. Remember, the symbolism we found for taking the right hand glove off was to acknowledge one who is superior--a king in spirit (also now a count in flesh)—but for the one who did this, it was also a custom which involved sincerity and the honest disclosure of one's mind (The clue that Erik could hear Raoul singing in his mind was given in DOM. The clues that Raoul could speak in thought were given in WHYBMH and at the stable scene.)

By the rose turning red—Erik’s color and symbolizing Erik—he answered Raoul’s question from the auction as if saying, “Yes, Raoul, the music will continue.” Even after he died and joined his beloved, the gravestone showed that he and Christine had children, so since both their father and mother WERE MUSIC, that means the children were Music and had that spirit also. They were a part of Erik and Christine.

But it did not end there.

The rose was there for Raoul, as was the ring. The rose and ring only appeared after Raoul released the past and his bitterness by his act of putting the music box on the grave. As if trying to put things in order before he died. The ring sparkled on the stem as it has never done before (and this is capped and underlined in companion book.) The 11 crystals of the ring meant light, protection, healing: “Let me lead you to the light, your fears are far behind you, let me be your shelter (protection), let me be the one to guide you” just like the AIOAY song. When it was given in the palm, with fingers closed over it and held—that was engagement—that was saying “I am yours and you are mine for an eternity.” (As well as everything else it stood for)

But it wasn’t given as engagement on the rose with the black ribbon. Erik was saying to Raoul, “Let me be your master, and let me help lead you back to the light.” Once it was Raoul who helped Erik from the darkness, along with Christine, and protected him in the light (as Raoul’s line in DOM during AIOAY--"say the word and I will follow you"-- and Erik’s change of footwear seem to imply, the white light on him, etc)—now Erik is asking to help Raoul. He is again "saying the word" but in a different sense--by the act of putting the rose on the grave.

That the ring sparkled so brilliantly on the stem shows to me that the invitation was accepted—Raoul nodded after they showed Erik. Perhaps, also, that it sparkled the first time could have represented Erik—who was now of the light. That it sparkled even more brilliantly the second time--from a different direction--could symbolize Christine who was in the light and now part of it (in Heaven.) and since she was the rose, it seemed to show that both of them would help Raoul. (I feel that’s also why they show the Venus statue (symbolizing Christine) appearing as if it were looking at him.)

Two men were redeemed that day. One from days of solitude and continual sorrow that came about when his beloved wife, his Angel of Music, died. One from darkness and emptiness that came about some time in the 49 years since DOM.

The rose bloomed with the deepest most intense shade of red ever-—Music was rebirthed in the rose (Christine) and he would rise up and reach the world again. (Just as it said in the HCA poem about the Phoenix—the black swan of glorious song being birthed near the rose, which is symbolic of Venus, which is symbolic of Christine). My feelings: Erik needed her to continue. He had never done it alone. In the main movie: “You alone can make my song take flight, help me make the music of the night.” And even though he broke the chains of darkness, and they then made music of the day (AIOAY/DOM)—he still needed her and relied on her. Once she died, and left the earth, he missed her and lost his will to continue. But since they were one spirit—Music—he still had her with him, just not in body. They were always united through deep soul ties. (Again, this is a fantasy)

And so, as he was shown to Raoul through the act of the rose turning red and the ring sparkling on the stem, the colors would come back into the world. Music would play again and continue to play forevermore.

But it doesn’t end there:

According to symbolism shown throughout movie, Christine was symbolized as Venus, the goddess of love and beauty. Red roses were symbolic of love. Turtledoves were symbolic of love…Erik’s color was red—and red also stands for love and is shown that way in the Spanish subtitles of Masquerade. He desired things of beauty. Also the ace of hearts card spoke of love, a communion between two souls, which symbolized Erik and Christine. She sang to Erik in Wandering Child, “Angel of Music I denied you, turning from true beauty”—and other clues pointed to love and beauty in connection to the symbolism surrounding both Christine and Erik.

So the clues seem to show that King and Queen Music were the embodiment of love and beauty for this fantasy. Erik was telling Raoul, who had obviously saddened and withdrawn to the point that he no longer felt love, who had just endured a World War and more besides, who now lived in a black and white grainy world with no color, and no beauty--“Yes, my brother, the love and beauty will come back again, and it will continue.” And that answer to the question is shown by this: The rose grows a more brilliant red than it ever has shown before, the ring sparkles more brilliantly than it ever did in movie; the scene fades to the postcard as the rose becomes even more intense of a red—and is captured in the postcard, as if to show “forever.”

The flame on the candle flickers and goes out, signaling the end of the movie.
And that, my friends, is the makings of one beautiful and powerful story.

**COMPANION BOOK CLUES**

In the last two paragraphs, the folllowing is capped and underlined:

Embedded in the MARBLE is an oval PORTRAIT OF CHRISTINE in her peak.

RAOUL shakes off his companions as he takes the MONKEY and slowly places it amid the beautiful flowers at her grave.

He begins to turn away, when something catches his eye. Although the film remains BLACK AND WHITE—IN VIVID COLOR A SINGLE RED ROSE lies at the foot of the monument, with a BLACK RIBBON. RAOUL’S face pales as the mystery continues. . .for as the camera ZOOMS SLOWLY to the RED ROSE. . .we see THE RING that CHRISTINE gave the PHANTOM years ago. IT SPARKLES ON THE STEM.

Portrait of Christine could be capped and underlined to show the significance of what she wears around her neck

Black and white and red rose could be underlined to show the significance of these colors all throughout the movie.

The ring--only time it's underlined--might be done so here to really watch it throughout movie, or to find the symbolism of it.

And that last sentence could be there to show the way it sparkles--and another clue that it means light. Since the day is cloudy and it should not be sparkling as it is doing.

Whatever the case, whatever it all means, specific words were capped and underlined throughout companion book for a reason. Some making no sense at all--like adjectives and pronouns, such as "SINGLE RED" and "HIM." (In a sentence referring to Erik, the giver of the rose)
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Return to Board index

Return to Hidden Plot