Symbolism showing Erik as King of Music- part 2

For those who believe, or want to, that there was more to the story...

Symbolism showing Erik as King of Music- part 2

Postby honeyphan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:42 pm

**Symbolism List A: Erik
usage of symbolism pointing to Erik as King of Music, and Count
- (Part Two)

***Masquerade***

** They show a close-up of the Bal Masque poster that focuses on a small, costumed boy (though no children were allowed at these balls) with his left arm raised and wearing a mask. I think this is symbolic of Erik as a child, some time after he first came to the opera house. That he is the focus of the poster seems to show him as the leader there—king. And his song is Masquerade.

** Outside, a camera flashes, and a blue ray of light zips across entire area--through the people—and to the opposite edge of screen. They are about to enter Music’s domain. They also show a blue line of light going across the building—Music’s kingdom. I’ve seen other movies use the blue light too, but the way this was done seems deliberate. (refresher: A statue stands above the opera house that is reminiscent of Erik and Christine, King and Queen Music. At beginning of movie, they show one ray of blue light through his heart and her head as camera lowers. The picture is also in companion book and is reminiscent of Apollo (sun god) with Music and Dance. (top picture in flap of companion book) Here in the movie, however, there are only two figures—a man and a woman.) I feel the reason this ray of light goes through the people—another clue showing Music (Erik) is king there—is that he is calling them to come, later formally and publicly announcing his personal intentions for Christine, (and all then stand in awe and watch as they see the king for the first time, together with his queen).

** On each side of the opera house there are again soldiers—four of them (4 is Erik’s number). With red plumed helmets/swords, etc, lined up on the stairs—like a palace guard. King’s soldiers (4 & 4)

** Flash of mauve, Fool and King
Carlotta wore a flash of mauve such as the color in the dancer’s skirt when she went up against Erik
Fool: Carlotta
King: Erik (also, the actual definition of the name “Erik” is: “ruler over all”

** Other lyrics say:
”Kurd and king, bird and beast,
ghoul and goose, fool and priest”

A "Kurd" is a Persian. This could refer to the monkey music box (it's dressed in Persian robes). The monkey being the "Kurd", Erik being the King. The bird could be the Phoenix bed, and the beast could be the Phantom spirit. I think this line relates to the last scene in DOM when he's singing with his music box (and the Phantom spirit is still there, trying to win him back over). It's the only time we see Erik with his music box.

** The entire Masquerade song is a song all about the king and his activities—the “kingdom song.” It tells what has happened in story regarding Erik (and Christine, his queen), and what will happen soon...

Spanish subtitles of movie:

** ”Flash of mauve, splash of puce, fool and king, ghoul and goose,
“False love, brilliant blue, fool and king, shadow and light"

False love/ fool and king—perhaps the fool here being phantom spirit and the king Erik, showing there was only a pretense that the Phantom was loyal to Erik.
Brilliant blue—shadow and light (could be the blue rays that went through Erik, who was in darkness {shadow}, and Christine, who was in light)
But IF Erik was “trapped light” (as sun god symbolism seems to show him as being light too, then that would make more sense when he told Christine in Spanish subtitles to “let herself see and understand the light” as he pulled her into the blue ray of it on the PONR bridge.)—then this whole line could refer to his association with the Phantom spirit. I’m not sure, but it is all a clue that he is a king.

** Green and black, queen and priest, trace of rouge, face of beast,
"Flower of lily, laughter and cross.

Translated into French, those words—Flower of Lily—literally mean fleur de leis—a symbol of France that only kings wore and what appears to be the top half of emblem on the back of Erik’s robe in STYDI...there are several references to a “cross” in Spanish subtitles, asking to remove it/ be freed of it—a cross in this context is like a burden—or chains. Laughter—the Phantom spirit laughed.

** The man on the left in gold is a sun god (that’s how the costume was described in the ebay auction). Sun god = royalty/leader = Erik. They often have symbolism depicting him as a sun god, (some of the items in his lair also show this), and I believe this is another way to show his kingship. (i.e. The Phoenix (his bed and statue) is associated with the sun god Apollo, and Apollo was also the god of music)— The other dancer is a jockey (though her costume looks too modern for 19th century clothing of that time period). But it is a costume easily recognized as a jockey. Jockey—horses—fine horses—Raoul. They show this couple together, singing “but who can name the face?” and singing it to us, the viewers. Showing this couple could be another hint that Erik and Raoul are together/related, since at other times in movie they have also used other characters/costumes to get a point across about a main character. (Meg wearing men’s clothing at the end, for instance—and dressed exactly like Erik.)

French subtitles of movie:

** Masquerade! You can fool any friend who ever knew you!
Mascarade! Sous ce loup, votre frère ignore que c’est vous
Masquerade! Beneath this wolf, your brother knows that it’s you

Wolf = Phantom spirit in symbolism they show –(i.e.: The Il Muto statue--resembling Erik, the king—has a wolf’s head on its outstretched hand)—Erik is the one hiding under phantom spirit—(“the bearer of the wolf being a deadly enemy to have,” as a symbolism website stated)--“Beneath this wolf”—Erik was the only one they show having any connection to a wolf, though the definition of Raoul's name means "wolf counselor." I think this line is a big symbolism clue showing that Raoul and Erik are brothers and Erik knows it. Which also means—Erik is a de Chagny, the older brother—the Count.

***Why So Silent?***

** Several bow and pay homage to Erik as he enters the ball, as they would to a king. After dealing with the order of business, he makes it clear to those present that Christine is his intended. His actions, including the way he walks, talks etc, are all those of a king.

** Red is a color of the kingdom (opera house)—it is also Erik’s color. In history, a few colors were only allowed for royalty to wear. Some players in this movie wore a portion of red—but Erik is fully dressed in it.

** Three women and three men paid homage to Erik when he looked their way (at least one of them is one of two unmasked in the companion book—the woman; not sure if it's the same man though). Clues seeming symbolic that Erik is king there and is royalty. (Full details and more pictures in Why So Silent summary)

Here are three pics of a woman coming out of a graceful curtsey (pay attention to where her head comes to in relation to the other girl's head to see her rise; she is not stepping up to the next stair, since each of them stood on one stair, and there is a man above her)--and also a pic. of a man bowing his head and taking a step back when Erik looks their way:

** This whole WSS song sounds like/looks like a king addressing his subjects and instructing them on what they must and must not do. Exerting his authority over them.

** Piangi confronts the king when he shakes the sword in Carlotta’s feathers—and one dares not approach the king in an offensive manner—it is forbidden. Why Erik shook his head no... A blue line goes through his heart above the blue line reflecting the sword (there are actually two lines reflecting off the sword in opposite directions, so bottom one might not be reflective, but I know the top ray isn't reflective, since it has no light source.) The blue lines show that Erik, the King, is the one talking now, since the blue lines are always shown in his middle/heart/spirit (his core), and he's the spirit of Music.

Spanish subtitles from movie:

** ERIK: If pride will let her return to me, her teacher, her teacher. . .
If she returns to me humbly. She is worthy, worthy...

Key words that sound like a king telling his subjects that Christine is worthy to be his queen, that she is valuable to him, and should be adored. The way many stare at her afterward is almost as if they are in awe

***Mirror chamber***

The fact that Erik did not draw his sword though Raoul had his drawn and lashed out with it several times shows that Erik did not intend to kill Raoul. The noose dropping seemed as if it were meant as more of a warning not to interfere any longer. I personally think Erik knew Raoul was his brother and could not or did not want to kill him (yet).

***M. Giry’s Tale***

** M. Giry’s photo frame with her picture has a firebird (a phoenix, which is a royal bird, symbolic of Erik) with a woman standing on it—not as if subduing it, but more as if she’s riding it. (I think this is symbolic of Christine, and M. Giry serves them both.)

** The song played in flashback of his youth in the gypsy camp is a twisted, creepy form of Masquerade—Erik’s signature song. He makes his stuffed monkey play the cymbals. Even here, he is making music. They have come to see him, and it’s as if he is trying to reach the people with who he is, even then. Music. “No one would listen” also points to this.

***No One Would Listen***

** They show a bust of the Emperor Nero; it has a white half mask on the right side. Symbolic of the song Hannibal’s “enslaving force of Rome”— and a nod to Erik’s kingship, since the bust is wearing a white half mask, and the bearer was a Roman emperor.

***Angel of Music & Wandering Child***

** Some of the statues in the cemetery are identical to ones at opera house, and since the opera house made their own statuary, this leads me to believe that the Phantom Spirit with the king ruled this “legendary cemetery” too. (Since I believe the spirit was the Angel of Death, this makes sense)

** The bottom edge of a white starburst of light appears at the left top hand corner of screen a few times, where Erik is waiting. Some think Erik was trapped light in darkness (sun god—i.e. Apollo—is also a god of light)—and perhaps this shows this. I think this is definitely another nod to sun god symbolism with regard to him—and a nod to Erik’s rulership as a king.

Italian translations:

** CHRISTINE: Turning from true beauty
Sempre avrò il tuo amore
Always I will have your love

ERIK: Turning from true beauty
Sempre avrai il mio amore
Always you will have my love

CHRISTINE: Angel of Music, My protector
Angelo, più non ti respingo
Angel, I reject you no more

ERIK: Angel of Music, do not shun me
Angelo, più non mi respingi,
Angel, reject me no more,

CHRISTINE: Come to me strange angel
aprimi il tuo regno
You open to me your kingdom

ERIK: Come to your strange angel
Apro a te il mio regno...
I open to you my kingdom…

Key words that Erik has a kingdom; therefore he is a king.

***Swordfight at cemetery***

** ERIK: “Now, let it be war upon you both.” and he twirls his cape.
French subtitles:
Now let it be war upon you both
Donc, ils veulent la guerre. C’est bon, ils l’ont
So, they want war. That’s good, they have it.

The word “war” in this context is usually used when between kingdoms, in the cases of kings/leaders. Raoul not only went against the king by drawing his sword first, but also taunted him, enjoying watching him suffer when he lowered his sword and let him think he would kill him, smirking when he did—despite what Christine had ordered: that he not do it. He also interfered in the king and queen's reunion, and took the queen away.

***We have all been blind & Twisted Every Way***

** As Raoul sings, they pass a white Lion medallion on the backstage corridor wall, much like the gold one M. Giry was standing in front of with open book and golden ceremonial goblet in POTO intro. This could serve as an icon, reminding them of whom they serve, since the lion was king of the beasts; in history, royalty uses it in their symbolism/shields, etc, and they pass this when Raoul sings:

RAOUL: “We shall play his game, perform his work, but remember we hold the ace...". That they passed it when he sang this makes it also look as if the icon symbolizes Erik as King.

** RAOUL/ANDRE/FIRMIN: “The curtain falls, His reign will end!”

“His reign” are key words that they’re talking about a ruler or king—another clue Erik is one. (Other objects in his lair point to kingship too, some of which I didn’t name—if it was just about him taking those things, {which I don’t believe he did and I think was part of the set designers aid in telling a deeper story through symbolism}, then those subjects of the opera house wouldn’t refer to him in kingly terms as they do here and have done throughout this movie fantasy when referring to him. That they use such terms like “his reign” and others show they consider him a king. Therefore, they know what they are doing is treason, and these are part of “Raoul’s sins”—which Erik later refers to in DOM.

SPANISH SUBTITLES...

** "Am I to risk my life To win the chance to live"
¿Hablando o rebelándome
Deseando huir?
Speaking or revealing myself
another translation: Speaking or rebelling to me
Wishing to flee?

This is worded as if she wonders if she should speak and warn the king—or rebel against him. “Rebel” is a key word showing she knows Raoul’s plan is wrong—treason. She wishes to flee what Raoul says she must do in revealing herself as bait, also enduring her ordeal by fire to prove herself to the people—and she is considering warning the king by doing what she feels is right and speaking to him.

** "Can I betray the man" "Who once inspired my voice?"
¿Callarme, hacer el mal Al que inspiró mi voz?
Remain silent and do this wrong
Against him who once inspired my voice

If she remains silent and doesn’t warn the king, she feels she’s committing a wrong.

** I know I can't refuse..."
Estamos a su albur
We are all at his disposal

When a person is at someone's disposal, that means that they are made available to him and must do whatever he commands. Another clue to his kingship.

FRENCH SUBTITLES...

Yet while he lives, he will haunt us till we’re dead...
Mais tant qu’il vit,
nous vivons sous
Sa baguette.
But while he lives, we live under his rod. (staff)

From honey: Another clue to kingship—rod is like a king’s scepter, his rule/authority…

***Don Juan***

** The box next to Raoul’s has two skeletons (symbolizing death)—one on each side—both with hands outstretched to what looks like a sun god. (symbolizing Erik/ruler/king) They also show it in trailer with a shadow creeping across it. Upon looking at pictures in companion book, each of these boxes has this carving of the two skeletons reaching toward the "sun god"--who looks tortured (as Erik was)

** CHORUS: “Here the sire may serve the dam...”

A “sire” is an address for a king—another clue Erik is one; a “dam” is a damsel—a maiden; they are saying the king may dish up or give to Christine whatever he feels she deserves.

** CHORUS: “Here the master takes his meat!”

This term means the king will take what is rightfully his.

** Notice she is barefoot. Erik planned it that way. One reason: bare feet show reverence and humility for her king. (symbolically)

**DON JUAN(PIANGI) “When you met, you wore my cloak, she could not have seen your face...”

When Phantom spirit met Christine (at the mirror), he wore the King’s cloak, she could not have seen Phantom spirit’s face...

This is the only part of the song that is sung in past tense, so it is something that’s already happened in story. This describes the mirror scene to a T. Phantom/Erik wore the gold-lined cloak when he met Christine face to face for the first time and tricked her into believing he was fully her Angel—she "could not have seen his face."
Erik had a servant (the phantom) collect her because he was king, (the method by which all kings use). This interaction between him and Passarino is also a nod to that, since the song is a shadow of what has happened and what will happen.

***Point of No Return***

** The blue ray of light going through the dancing couples—who symbolize Christine and Erik and what they’re feeling, and are shown a split second after Erik & Christine in embrace—seem to show that Erik and Christine are king and queen of Music and are “speaking” to the people, who are now listening (as Erik always wanted them to do).

** Erik is really a dark blond, with the same hair color as Raoul. (dark blond/light brown) Perhaps this was meant as another bit of symbolism showing the two are brothers, and pointing to Erik as the eventual Count. I think it is a clue, because they admitted to using 2 wigs (and not Gerry’s hair) so I think they wanted that exact color/type to match Raoul’s.

I tried to get pictures with similar lighting, to show what I mean:

***Down Once More***

** As they run, they pass five statues of faces on the wall (in two pictures they are shown twice)—these don’t look like the gargoyles they have earlier shown, and two of them appear to be wearing a mask. I’m not sure who these are supposed to be, but one looks like Apollo, so I think maybe they are supposed to be gods. The setting—and how the walls are now suddenly carved with ancient patterns—reminds me of a king’s tomb, like in Egypt. Perhaps another king/kingdom clue. Since he talks about this being his tomb (in translations).

**Blue shows through his middle again—not on wall in first pic, but on him. Showing he IS music.

** Raoul was able to escape the opera house fire and get out of Box 5 using a red rope that was suddenly hanging by it—Red: Erik the King’s color.
In the grate, they showed 4 squares are missing, through which Raoul could have escaped—4: Erik the King’s number. The secret passage, seen for only a few seconds, has red light in it—again, red being Erik’s color.

This could be foreshadowing symbolism that Erik would regain control and let Raoul go—save him from death. That he, himself, never wanted to kill Raoul, but through phantom spirit he tried to. I think Erik knew Raoul was his brother—he knew it in masquerade according to French subtitles, and that may be why he never drew his sword against him in the mirror chamber … the Punjab came down, but that was symbolic of the phantom … actually there were many times Erik could have killed Raoul and didn’t.

** They show a glimpse of Erik’s red and gold throne—more symbolism that Erik is king and that it is “sweet Music’s throne” (Music, as in a person). The walls of this lair are red and green (king and queen).

** Raoul: (Pleading) “Free her! Do what you like, only free her.”

By saying “Do what you like” –Raoul is telling Erik to do what he likes to punish him—as if knowing he was in the wrong for his plan and admitting to it.

** ERIK: ”Why would I make her pay for the sins which are yours?”

Raoul’s “sins” as they seemed to show through symbolism:

A) Trying to harm the king—when Raoul chased him into mirror chamber with sword drawn, then next morning in cemetery, pulled his sword first to attack; and then had the king helpless on the ground, at the end of his sword, eager to kill him.

B) Not being silent as was the command (think of Raoul as the pageboy in Il Muto), and instead going against kingdom rule not to speak of what you know—and opening M. Giry’s eyes to the darkness so that she changed sides, also opening the managers’ eyes so that they fought back, and opening Christine’s eyes to the truth and danger of the darkness (Phantom spirit) in TEW. Then ignoring the queen’s command of silence and telling the police it was the king on stage, again putting him in danger.

C) Encouraging others to commit treason against the Erik, the king, and form a conspiracy to try to capture him

D) Forcing the queen to go through an Ordeal by Fire (“Raoul, I’m frightened, don’t make me do this…Raoul, it scares me, don’t put me through this ordeal by fire…”—from TEW)—which again, an ordeal by fire in history was the strong testing given to nobility/royalty to determine innocence or guilt. By Raoul forcing Christine through an ordeal by fire (even if his motives were “pure” in his eyes), he put Christine in grave danger.

E) Daring to try to steal the queen from the king and make her his own.

** CHRISTINE: “Why do you curse mercy?”

Key words: A king grants mercy. She’s still trying to get through to Erik, asking him to intervene, to reconsider, to take away the punishment.

** During the kiss, they placed that half shuttered white light just so the blue lines of light go through his AND her middle—both of them--and through both of their heads—seeming to show they have been finally brought together and are one. Music.

** The gold crown above their heads seems like more symbolism to show he is king (she is queen)

** This seems to be a clue showing they are both royalty and a couple. The crown is not part of the lair, because the wall is dark in background and this is gold and has a circular base, though perhaps it could have been painted on the wall for a special effect and for this purpose--to reveal it at the end, when they come together. (For more on the crown, refer to DOM summary part 2)

Spanish subtitles of movie:

** Refuse me and you send your lover to his death!
¡Recházame y así sentencias su final!
Reject me and you sentence his end!

Key words—a king or queen sentences someone to death

** Too late for turning back, Too late for prayers and useless pity!
Es tarde, no supliques más
No más llamadas
It's too late now; You may not beg further
No more summons

More key words that are used in referring to kings--pointing to Erik’s kingship

French subtitles:

** RAOUL: “Say the word and I will follow you.”
And in the French he sings this:
Say the word and I will follow you.
Trouble-moi
En inventant demain …
Get rid of trouble by going to tomorrow

** Erik comes out of his bedroom, only after hearing this, his face a mask of shock. He didn't come out when she was singing—only after Raoul sang his line, and he grew more alert when he did. He is obviously stunned, as if he cannot believe Raoul would forgive him, encourage him, even offer to protect and follow him. In Raoul, he has met a worthy opponent, why he now trusts that Raoul will see Christine to safety when he told him to take her away before the mob could get there and find her. He knows that with Raoul to serve him, he has a chance outside and CAN “get rid of trouble by going to tomorrow”—that his brother will help him, despite all he’s done.

** Erik has a throne—symbolism of his being king—and it is his color and the colors of the kingdom—red and gold

** ONLY on the word “Music”—they show the blue light over his heart and head—but there is no light source. (The light isn’t even coming from the flame). I believe this is the symbolism showing what all the blue rays of light in the movie mean—music—that Erik IS Music, the king of it, and it showed on Christine because she is also music, his queen. It is a bold, thick, bright line—stronger now than ever before, and I believe this is to show he is stronger in spirit than ever before—partly, I think because he now knows he will always have Christine and her love. By her actions—her words, her kiss, giving him her ring—she has proved it to him. And that gives him the strength to do what he now must. MUSIC is fully there, never to rely on the darkness again. The music of the night is over.

** The Phoenix (symbolizing Erik) is a royal mythological bird that sets itself on fire and is reborn from the ashes. Erik set his opera house kingdom on fire, and we feel this is also a clue that he changed his ways—left the darkness, and was “reborn” into the light—finding Christine to live in the world with her and reclaim (or inherit) his title of Count in the real world. Smashing the three mirrors before leaving was also a sign of renouncing the old life.

** The last mirror has the red and gold drape over it (missing in MOTN)—the colors of the kingdom (and his throne)—and it is the mirror he walks through, which I think is also symbolic that he is king. That mirror was special, and held the secret passageway for him to escape.

** I think that the black music box could also be showing that the king has destroyed his kingdom, since the red and gold (kingdom colors) are now missing from the box and the box is symbolic of him:

** Also he sings this which makes it seem like that too:
From the French subtitles:
Masquerade, hide your face so the world will never find you
Mascarade, Cachez bien les couleurs qui vivent en vous.
Masquerade, Hide well the colors which live inside you. (but we know the colors returned from what they showed—all was not lost for him. The box was again red and gold in the auction scenes and onward.)

From STYDI:

In DOM:

***Cemetery scene***

** The symbols on the grave would have been ordered by her husband. He would have chosen (or crafted) her headstone. An angel guards her, roses and ribbons adorn her grave, and a picture is there of her (the rose, as Erik thinks of her) with a black ribbon tied around her throat. (Realistically, for this time period, there should be no picture on a tombstone—this was done for a reason, and I believe it was for symbolism.)

** If Raoul were her husband, he never would have used such symbols because of who they represented—Erik. Symbolism in a movie gives the viewer just enough information to figure out its message; it only reveals what is important to the story know, to help figure things out; if the symbolism doesn’t show it, it’s safe to say it wasn’t the creators’ intent.

Erik was the only one to think of Christine as the rose. Raoul never brought her roses, and after he visited her dressing room they completely disappeared. These were close-up shots of the headstone—the POTO creators wanted it seen well—and the name “Countess” inscribed there seems to be further proof that she did marry Erik, who by this time would have become Count Erik de Chagny.

They called Raoul a Vicomte at the auction for a reason; he was never a Count. And symbolism shows that his older brother was Erik.[/size]

I tried to cover all bases, but if anyone can think of anything more regarding the symbolism/clues shown that point to Erik as Christine's Count and King of Music, please post it and I will put it in the main list above. Thank you!
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Return to Board index

Return to Hidden Plot