Symbolism showing Christine as Queen of Music, etc- part 2

For those who believe, or want to, that there was more to the story...

Symbolism showing Christine as Queen of Music, etc- part 2

Postby honeyphan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 pm

**Symbolism List B: Christine
usage of symbolism pointing to Christine as Queen of Music, the Rose, and Bringer of Light
(Part Two)

continued...

~*Twisted Every Way*~

**As she rises, she lifts her skirt - a strange thing to do when rising. Instead of smoothing her skirt down, she lifts the hem a few feet so the viewer is drawn to look at the bottom of her skirt and in that area. They show TWO things; here’s one:

A) Per masquerade song -“Green and black, Queen and Priest”—(her skirt is a dark murky green as picture above in Masquerade section shows, and she’s wearing a black ribbon. Since the Masquerade song is about Erik - his signature song - this is showing who these people are to him. Christine is his queen, and Raoul is her priest, later to become his (not meaning an orthodox priest, but that he serves her). This whole conversation was much like the way a queen would consult her priest before doing something very difficult and dangerous. Even that it took place in a chapel seems significant.

**Christine: “It scares me, Don't put me through this ordeal by fire.

An "ordeal by fire" is a strong testing - and an "ordeal by fire" as opposed to a "trial by fire" (which is similar) is used only in the case of nobility (like a queen). Since Christine is Erik’s intended queen, "ordeal by fire" fits for her, and this is another clue showing she is royal...a queen.

From wikipedia:
Trial by ordeal is a judicial practice by which the guilt or innocence of the accused is determined by subjecting them to a painful task…. Ordeal of fire: This test typically required that the accused walk a certain distance, usually nine feet, over red-hot ploughshares or holding a red-hot iron. Innocence was sometimes established by a complete lack of injury. (I wonder if the PONR bridge, which was suspended over a fire pit, was nine feet long???)

Trials by ordeal were a pagan custom that took on added ritual when Christianity was introduced into England. There were various ordeals, and at different times certain ordeals were reserved for people of higher rank...The ordeals of the red-hot iron and the plowshares were also called the fire ordeals and were often reserved for nobility. (from Thomas & Gale Legal Encyclopedia - http://www.answers.com/topic/ordeal)

also one site said this:
A difficult or painful experience, especially one that severely tests character or endurance.... A method of trial in which the accused was subjected to physically painful or dangerous tests, the result being regarded as a divine judgment of guilt or innocence.

By using the words for this song -"don't put me through this ordeal by fire"- shows that she was being tested. On whether she was guilty, or innocent of being one with Erik and remaining on his side as his queen - or going along with Raoul's plan…and Raoul was forcing her into doing this by her own words in English, and in all the subtitles.

**SPANISH SUBTITLES:

RAOUL: "Don't think that I don't care"
No es ruin
It isn't contemptible

"But every hope and every prayer rests on you now"
Es un deber
Mas la elección
It's your duty and the choice

**If it’s her “duty” this is coming right out and saying she is second in command - the queen - and she must do what is expected of her. To have Raoul say it’s not contemptible shows that she thought that’s exactly what it was. It’s “the choice” that has been made for her. (definition of contemptible: disgraceful, loathsome, despicable, dishonorable, etc.) This shows she’s not in favor of Raoul’s plan, and not just because she’s scared of what will happen--but because she feels it’s wrong.

[color=cyan]**This wasn’t in the companion book, but it was in the ebay auction for one of the drawings that was part of the Don Juan set - Notice the color of the bed - red & green (King and Queen):

~*Point of No Return*~

**ERIK: ”Past the point of no return ... the final threshold ..."

Here they show a few members of the audience - the directors, leaning over the rail to get a better look as Erik leads Christine. Another member of audience in balcony also does this, and several others appear very interested. Two women on opposite side are leaning all the way forward in their chairs with their arms over the rail. Raoul is also leaning forward. I feel audience reaction is due to two reasons—
A) they are hearing Music for the first time, and some are enthralled. They don’t know who Erik is … They acted disgusted with the discordant Don Juan song, but when Christine and Erik - King and Queen Music - took the stage, the music/singing became melodious - and by the audience reactions they are mesmerized. They don’t know about a plan to capture anyone. They don’t live within the opera kingdom to know.

**CHRISTINE: “...To that moment when speech disappears into silence...silence.”

Again she looks up at Raoul on those last words only: "When speech disappears into Silence. Silence ..." Just as Erik told her to be silent when he first came on stage and sang to her, she’s now telling Raoul to be silent, and not to act. But Raoul, (the pageboy of Il Muto who was supposed to keep silent - when pageboy as Christine said barely above a whisper, “It’s him.” And Carlotta/Countess said: “Your part is silent!”) doesn’t obey her order. Instead, he quietly acts, telling the police “it’s him.”

With what Christine sings in Spanish subtitle translations, it makes it clearer this wasn’t a signal on her part to betray Erik. They didn’t even know Erik would take the stage to give any signal. She was commanding Raoul “Do not speak of what you know; do not act -instead stay silent” … The words themselves look as if they should be sung softer - but they’re not - the way she sings the last silence sounds like someone in authority giving an order, which is much more commanding and even ends harsh when you listen to it. The look she gives him seems superior, as a ruler might give … she is letting him know she has made her decision - and it’s not his. Everything she sings in Spanish subtitles points to this - that the Queen has decided to be one with the King, supporting him, and not be a part of the conspiracy.

~*Down Once More*~

** What appears to be a gold crown hovers above their heads, yet another clue showing he is king, and when zoomed, it appears to have turtledoves on it - symbolic of Venus (Christine). This seems to be symbolism showing they are both royalty and a couple. It’s not meant to be a part of the lair, because the wall was dark in background and this is gold and has a circular base. The “Turtledoves” line was in masquerade French subtitles. Definition found on website: Turtledoves reinforce the symbolism of Venus, the goddess of love and beauty. (which they’ve shown symbolizes Christine, and Music is symbolic of love). In previous scenes when they showed long angle shots, they never showed the crown. The first shot shows that part of lair - no crown. It’s only above their heads during their kiss.

Earlier view:

For more pics see DOM summary

Also, the blue light symbolizing Music again zips through her head—and his - and his heart - and hers. They are finally “one.” And this symbolism seems to show that.

** ERIK: “Go now - don’t let them find you!”

“Them” - the mob, controlled by phantom spirit. Christine failed her ordeal by fire, and as Erik’s queen, she is considered as guilty as he now is. The man they showed in the mob chasing Meg is no longer carrying a stick, but a knife, as are others - they are out to kill. Another reason she’s in danger - she’s a part of him, his queen - she is also Music. The mob is getting closer - Erik knows they’ll soon be there and he wants her to get away to safety before they arrive. (This is made clearer in subtitles translations, showing this is exactly what’s happening here.)

**ERIK: ”Take the boat, swear to me, never to tell, the secrets you know of the angel in hell!”

Secrets: As the spirit of Music in human form, a king of his realm, he desired love and beauty, but was chained to an evil spirit who had the real control over his life. Perhaps also the secret was that he was music (as the clue of the “solar exalted” in the Exalted game - when the identity of those god-like beings was discovered - as well as the identity of the one to whom they gave a part of their spirit - they were hunted down and killed - amd that fits for Erik’s fear for Christine and the mob finding her)…By singing the above, Erik is letting her know he’s given up. Because if he’s worried about them revealing secrets - sung in present tense - he plans to remain behind in darkness. He doesn’t feel redeemable or worth saving. He’s giving them his boat and he’s staying behind. At this point, he doesn’t care what happens to him because he has just told his queen to leave him and never come back. But she cares, as they soon show.

DIFFERENT SUBTITLE TRANSLATIONS:

**ERIK: sings out in loud, tearful command: “Go now - GO NOW and leave me!”

ERIK:
Take her! Forget me; forget all of this
Prends-la, oublie-moi, oubliez-moi vite.
Take her, forget me, forget me quickly.

(After their last kiss):
ERIK: Take her! Forget me; forget all of this
Basta...andate! tu portala via!
Enough…go! Take her away!

Leave me alone
Laissez-moi seul,
Leave me alone,

Leave me alone
Io resterò, lasciatemi qui
I will stay, leave me here

Forget all you’ve seen … go now don’t let them find you
Oubliez tout ça.
Partez,
Qu’on ne vous trouve pas!
Forget all this, leave, I don’t want them to find you!

Forget all you’ve seen… go now don’t let them find you
Forza, vi troveranno! Sono già quasi qui!
Go on, they will discover you! They are almost here already!

The above shows that he is telling her that she’s in danger from the mob just as he is (because she failed her ordeal by fire); he wants her safe, but he has chosen to remain behind.

** A shape sparkles on the wall where Christine had been standing but it wasn't shown before - when zoomed, it looks like a turtledove (symbolic of Venus, goddess of love and beauty, symbolic of Christine). The wall beyond that is flat - no sparkle - except where some water drips down away from this shape.

** There now appears to be a family portrait on the wall that wasn’t there before. Also, they didn’t show this in MOTN or when Erik sang to the music box, but now what appears to be a cradle/ baby bed from that time period is sitting there, with what looks like a white blanket with green embroidery over it. (Showing us that Christine and Erik will have children maybe, since it said she did on her headstone. It is both red, Erik's color, and green, her color.)

~*Final Ride to Cemetery & Ending Scene*~

**Raoul watches couple as they walk to the Crystal jeweler’s window and look at items there. In the window, they show a crown, such as a queen would wear (Christine). and immediately Raoul thinks of her and their kiss - in b&w not color. This is the kiss that happened the very second before she broke away and sang to him, “I must go. . .”

**An angel kneels on one leg above the headstone, as if it is protecting the one who lies beneath and paying homage - right arm crossed over breast, head bowed, much like the statues she passed in WYWSHA - as if to show honor, as if to a queen.

** Her hair is up just like it was in Il Muto for the Countess, she is now the countess - royalty - and this picture is the only picture on any grave in entire cemetery. Erik is the only one who wanted her as the Countess (his Countess in the play) and like the play, the English term is used here instead of the Italian or French.
[/size]

CHRISTINE AS THE LIGHT AND BRINGER OF IT…

~*Think of Me*~

**In Think of me she starts beckoning Erik to the light, or at least this is when they begin to show her actively thinking about him, drawn toward him in the movie, and when they first start showing the white light with her when she is with Erik or is singing to him:

**She sings "There will never be a day when I won’t think of you!" And we see Angel/Erik on the word "You!"

We hear cymbals crash - (which happened again at each kiss in DOM and we have found in sound clues this means Erik, the king, is fully there.) White light in dark cellar seems to waft above him, as if wooing him to the light. Again, because white light is seen in almost every scene with Christine and Erik this points to her as a “bringer of light" in this allegory, and Spanish subtitles emphasize that even further. It might be symbolic of moonlight, since she’s shown to have connection to the moon - lunar (also M. Giry is) - or daylight, as Erik sings in MOTN. The white light above Erik’s head is as if Christine is urging him to leave his darkness, and with this verse she's also telling him how she'll feel if he chooses not to do so. Foreshadowing for end - That if he decides to remain in darkness and remains behind, she will never stop thinking of him or missing him. I feel that it looks as if she’s singing from heaven to further symbolize she is of the light and for the light. And our first time to see Erik, he’s in the dark caverns far below, which points to him being in darkness at this time.

~*Angel of Music*~

**CHRISTINE: Angel of music, hide no longer, secret and strange angel.
Ya sal a la luz la espera es larga
Cuéntanos tu historia
Come to the light. The delay has already been too long.
Tell to us your story.

Symbolic that Christine is from the light and is calling Erik into it. "The delay ..." shows that this is something she's wanted for some time, but she doesn't want any part of the darkness.

~*Phantom of the Opera*~

**In circular stairwell the torch shadow is on the wall - but not the shadow of the dancing flame, and with the way this scene was shot, we don’t see her shadow either. Realistically I feel her shadow should be larger than his because she is on other side of flame, yet they don’t show it. Perhaps since both the flame and her shadow are missing from the wall this is another clue showing she is of the light and bringer of it, and Erik is trapped in the darkness. Especially since the definition for “phantom” is “shadow.”) If you watch this in motion, you can see better how she has no shadow nor does the light of the torch.

note: it's easier to see there is no shadow of the flame when they first show him but I wanted to get a pic with her there too.

**In below picture the light trails them, and Erik looks back, noticing it. There should be no light this far below the earth and at night. It’s the light Christine brings with her. We know it’s still night because it didn’t take them 7 or 8 hours to get to his lair, and daylight wouldn’t penetrate underground even if it were high noon. He lives many levels below the earth. In the second picture, there is a line of solid white behind them and the mist in front is also lit but swrils around more and isn't as bright.

**Here is a picture of the front of his lair before they come to it - there is no white light there. The red and gold curtains sweep away (red and gold the colors of the kingdom.)

When they come through the entrance - the white light has caught up to them and they are awash in it.

Next time you see the entrance, the gate is down, and the light is behind it, though Erik didn’t go near the lever. He's still in the boat and close to the gate. I feel this is a way to show that the Phantom spirit and minions have trapped the light Christine brought with her, not allowing it to enter the lair with them. And it stays that way all through STYDI:

**COMPANION BOOK CLUES**

p. 85-- As she reaches the final climactic note, candles magically rise through the water, ALREADY ALIGHT.

This is all that is capped and underlined in this entire scene, perhaps a hint to look at candles, or to show that light plays a strong part in this story and Christine is part of it.

~*Music of the Night*~

ERIK: ”Slowly, gently, night unfurls its splendor
Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender
Turn your face away from the garish light of day,
Turn your thoughts away from cold unfeeling light,

And listen to the Music of the Night.”

He’s telling her to leave the light (spiritually) - as she looks back toward it at the gate. Only remember, it’s not daytime - it’s still night.

**When he smoothes his hand down her bodice, it sparkles everywhere - even in the lace below, where it never sparkled before, and this is not just because of lighting, because they were in a well-lit hallway after mirror scene, when it should have sparkled just as much. Gown/robe has changed looking like something a queen would wear. Even her skin sparkles ... This could also be symbolic of her being of the light and the bringer of it … (she also sparkled in TOM when she was singing to Erik, and Erik was singing through her…)

~*I Remember/STYDI*~

** “La Feria” - the paper that was propped up when she was lying on the ground and slightly smiled - literally means “Festival of Lights”. See pic below for a before and after shot - notice the position of the candlestick - it has moved, and perhaps was there just to prop up the La Feria composition so we’d see it.

only seconds after:

from a website:
"The fair was founded in 1846. The grand opening of La Feria de Abril is El Alumbrado,(the lighting) which begins every year with the official lighting of the lanterns where half a million little lights are turned on at once, especially by the main gate. . .”
I think this is a clue of what happened with them, but I also think it’s a clue that she is of the light and Erik will later join it with her, since La Feria was in Seville - the city of Don Juan (his opera); her smile seems to suggest there’s a message to be found here - (curl of lip, swirl of gown …) as well as the suddenly misplaced candlestick and missing musical score …

~*Masquerade*~

]The ring was made of crystals by Swavorski. Crystals are symbolic of protection and light. One sleuther found that the number "11" is symbolic of healing and light. 11 crystals were in that ring. Here is the definition from a website: “11 is a master number often associated with light, messiah, prayer, healing, heavenly, enduring, peacemaking, illumination ... Eleven is the direct recipient of inspiration from the One Source: the preacher, the messenger, the Light-bearer from On High...”

All of this fits with the deeper story, and the auctioneer said, "Perhaps we can frighten away the ghost of so many years ago with a little illumination ..." (illumination: the ring, which Christine owned) Clues have shown that Christine is the light bearer and Raoul priest of it (“preacher” in above paragraph). Their source is the Light. She is a messenger to Erik of that light (in POTO, white light follows them in boat—in AOM Spanish Subtitles she calls him out of the darkness and tells him to come into the light, etc)...

In the original G.L. novel, Erik gave Christine a gold ring saying she would be protected as long as she wore it. I think ALW/JS took from this idea, like they used a few other things from the novel (the horse in POTO for instance, and Persian things) to make their own adaptation of the ring. The ring in movie became the promise of the AIAOY song. And a carving of this same ring was on her father’s memorial in AOM chapel scene, seeming to show it was an heirloom from Christine’s family. Ring = light; Christine = light.

**As the gaiety of the ball overtakes her melancholy mood, she accepts Raoul’s kiss - and during that spin toward him, the ring around her neck disappears for several seconds - even the chain it was on. When this happens, I feel it’s a clue showing that in her heart she’s come to a point where she’s accepted Raoul's promise of AIAOY, because immediately after it disappeared she kissed him - even another stiff upper lip, close-mouthed kiss. And she laughed with him at the dancers, beginning to look happy, believing at that moment she COULD pretend.

**Faces...drink it in, drink it up, til you’ve drowned in the light, in the sound. But who can name the face?
Ruin. Turn to drink until you are part of this sound, and this light a hostage. Don’t you know whom you see?”

This describes the DOM scene to a T—"this light” being a hostage would be Christine.

Sung: "Your chains are still mine,"
spoken: "You belong to me!"

By taking the ring from her, Phantom/Erik was ripping away the protection and light, the promise in AIAOY, also letting her know she was his and would remain with him always. In darkness.

~*No One Would Listen*~

**Soft white light comes from high above, and I think that since Christine is above him in the opera house, this is her calling to him since he’s been absent. This is the only place in his lair I see white light; it is no longer behind the organ. Some feel that Erik is also of the light - but he’s trapped in Phantom’s darkness, and that’s why the white light can’t reach him.

[size=[150]~*Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again*~[/size]

**The companion book shows this in capitals and underlined: AS THE FIRST RAY OF DAWN comes through CHRISTINE'S transom window. CHRISTINE, in a robe, having not slept all night, makes a decision. She slowly opens the dressing room door. RAOUL sleeps in a chair outside her door, his sword across his lap. CHRISTINE quietly tip-toes past him; careful not to wake him.

The capped and underlined part from book shows they are speaking about AS THE FIRST RAY OF DAWN as if it is a person. (Could be the Light whom she serves, perhaps urging her to act and go to the cemetery.) I find it interesting that they say she makes a decision. That cemetery trip wasn't all about visiting her father's grave.

~*Don Juan*~

**in the below picture: Once Christine takes the stage, the flames don’t appear as high as they did before - the back ones are obliterated by a bright white light within the flame pit that wasn’t there before. As always happens when she’s in view AND is near Erik or in some way about to be with him or is reaching out to him - white light follows her or is around her.

~*Point of No Return*~

**ERIK: “Lead me, save me from my solitude ...”

He is asking for her help - for her to LEAD HIM. If you lead someone, you take them away from something. He’s asking her to lead him away from the darkness and into the light. He wants beauty and heaven - those are his secrets he told her about in STYDI. He wants to be freed and to be with her and doesn’t want to be alone any longer but he doesn’t know how to do this - he’s lived in darkness for 22 years, even before that - and he needs her to help him; as always, there is white light with her when near to him - this time above them. And it showed up when they came together - before it was flashing beside her, as she began to walk across the bridge, while when they show him, it is pitch black on that side:

~*Down Once More*~

**The white light is again trapped outside—under the earth, in the nighttime. She brought it with her, but the phantom closed the gate on it—again.

Here it is a few minutes later—when Raoul comes it is only mist—the white light has gone—and then it totally disappears—Christine wasn’t able to get through to Erik at this point:

**As she sings to him about the darkness in his soul and his face not being the problem, they show a white light in the left corner of mirror, by her—light which she has brought. When Raoul arrives, the light disappears.

**As their kiss grows more passionate, a continuous line of blue light goes through both their heads (blue line through head symbolizes Christine), and in the middle of their hearts (blue line through heart symbolizes Erik)—and this seems to show they are both now connected in a way they never have been before. Each reached the other with that kiss in a way they never imagined—and you see that by the look in their eyes after he pulls away the first time. The white light that had been reflected in the mirror is now fully there behind him—halfway open—but the white light is huge and flooding the lair where it never has done so before. The blue lines aren’t a reflection of that light, because they wouldn’t show as camera revolved, due to angle—also one of the lines doesn’t come from the light (by the heart). All this seems to show a powerful statement—Music (what blue lines stand for as they showed when Erik picked up candlestick to smash mirrors and they showed blue staff across his heart only on the word Music) has irrevocably become one. The King and Queen are united, and nothing can come between them again.

** Robert le Diable by Meyerbeer - mentioned at the auction at beginning of movie, also how they set the TOM stage - making it Meyerbeer - as companion book says - is just one of the many masks to be unveiled in this story. Here’s a portion of the summary, relating to Christine as light and bringer of it:

In this opera, Robert is Erik, Christine is a blend of Alice and Isabelle (just like they blended M. Giry’s character into one from the two that were in G.L.s novel), and Bertram is Phantom spirit. Comments from me are in parenthesis:

Summary of opera-- Robert le Diable—from a website:
“. . .This is an opera in which the demonic is incarnated in Bertram who has the power of a necromancer and calls up phantoms ... This is a world of legends where the barriers between the mythical and the actual, between the corporeal and the spiritual, are broken down and the whole array concerning the classic struggle between good and evil is unrolled before the eyes and ears of the audience in the manner of the Medieval miracle plays ... The struggle is for the souls of men and women in an ageless battle between the forces of heaven and hell who contend at every level in supernatural manifestations, but most particularly by the surrogate agencies of those who are for God and those who are against him. Satan, the dark master, is active through the demon Bertram (in POTO it’s Phantom spirit and minions from abyss); the heavenly forces operate principally through the pure girl Alice (Christine) who places herself directly under the patronage of the Virgin herself in Act 3, and clings on to the great cross that dominates this central act literally and the whole opera figuratively ...” (They symbolize this by showing the statue depicting Christine above stage holding a huge cross in Act 3 - TOM - also in cemetery.)

”It is she who, through her purity and alignment with the divine, has the instinctive power to see through Bertram's veneer of humanity to his demonic self.” (Christine recognized Phantom spirit in song POTO, she also called him what he was in WHYBMH, etc, probably because she did have the light in her/with her)

She holds the sacred mission to redeem Robert by keeping him to the right path and enabling him to choose the way of life and light ...” (Christine was always trying to get Erik to see the light and come to it by removing his mask and in other ways. In Spanish subtitles she called him to the light also.)

“... And his salvation comes as an act of grace: Alice causes the signing of the pact to be delayed until the fatal hour has struck, and the power of darkness is broken ...” (Christine delayed in giving an answer and sealing the agreement with Erik until she felt the time was right. Ever wonder why she didn’t say anything ahead of time, when she’d already decided - we know this because of the disappearing ring, the wedding dress she wore, her words in lyrics, etc? Because the fatal hour hadn’t yet struck - in order to break the darkness, it had to be there, and with the symbolsim shown, it came into power over Erik only after Phantom had arrived to the lair shortly before Raoul approached the gate.

“... leaving Robert free, liberated, open to the flooding of light ...” - (white light flooded the area behind them when the darkness was broken and she kissed Erik - he was freed by her act of unconditional love - he cried real tears as she got through to him and phantom left him for a time as she acted and “signed the pact” - but more "light" had to come ...)

**She lays the ring in the center of his palm, closing his fingers around it AND around her fingers - she leaves her fingers in his palm holding the ring. She then cups her other hand around his - holding his fingers around hers and holding his hand - exactly as he did to her earlier, when he asked her to spend an eternity with him. By giving him her ring - with the 11 crystals, again all of it symbolic of protection, healing, light and illumination - she was telling him, “Now come with me to the light and let me dry your tears; where no one can harm you, and my words will warm and calm you (and they did) ... Let me be your freedom, let me be your light, come with me where you’ll be safe and no one will find you, where your fears will be far behind you ...” (In an interview, the songwriter even said that AIAOY really became the Phantom’s song)

Christine was telling him by giving him her ring that things were not all hopeless as he thought, that she didn’t think him unworthy of her, and she still wanted to lead him to the light, also offering to protect him, telling him no one would find him, etc (the ring -illumination - frightening away the ghost {Phantom}) - all that the AIAOY song meant: A song about being led away from the darkness. They even start to play the song the very second she looks down at the ring after he sings, “Christine, I love you.” By putting it into his hand the exact way he did to her, the symbolism is unchanged - she was telling him it was HIM she wanted to spend an eternity with - that HE held her heart - and that she would be his wife. “An eternity of this …”

** And suddenly as he comes out after hearing Raoul sing, Erik doesn’t have the ring in his hands. Judging from what I believe this to mean - when the ring disappeared from around her neck before she kissed Raoul at Masquerade Ball, and when it disappeared from her hands in DOM, and we know she’d planned to marry Erik by her words and actions in clues - the disappearance of the ring means “acceptance of the promise.” and the ring also means protection (perhaps he also gave it to her to protect her from the Phantom). So this is a clue that he has accepted Christine’s silent plea - to join her in the light, and by doing so, he will also marry her, as they both want. Notice also that his shirt seems a much brighter white now, as though to show he’s chosen the light maybe or that her light is now upon him.

** Erik has a “there, now it’s finished” look on his face as the shards of the final mirror splinter - a satisfied look. He’s smiling. And after he’s broken through the last mirror - a ray of white light shines behind him that was NOT in his lair before he did this. It is shining into the tunnel, as if to point the way, to encourage. And I believe that also was symbolic that Christine would now help him and show him the way.

**a white castle sits under the glass globe - but there are no longer two candles there to shine on it like earlier - Now it seems lit from within, perhaps showing Erik has gone to the light. When I zoomed - it resembles one of the gates to La Feria in Seville -Festival of lights. (From his drawings) Held before Easter week, this was a religious feast/festival - all about the light, etc. - and when they showed the symbolic clue with La Feria score - they showed Christine smiling.
[/size]

CHRISTINE AS THE ROSE:

**Roses are known as "the Queen of Flowers". Erik thought of her as the rose.

**Red Roses were dedicated to the goddess Aphrodite/Venus (Christine is symbolized as Venus a number of times in the movie, and as the queen of this fantasy)

~*Little Lotte*~

**Red rose and ribbon = Christine and Erik and their relationship. A black ribbon, I have found, means “master” in flower language, when tied around a rose. The one who gave the rose is the master to the one who receives it. Christine was symbolized as the rose, Erik the red in the rose (red was his color), and the black ribbon shows himself wrapped around her - he was master over her.

**Pink rose - she is the rose, and when she is with Raoul in a scene the rose is pink, when there is a rose. (Little Lotte, Masquerade), exception being WHYBMH, but they made it clear it was Erik's rose. Pink seems to mean pride as far as the way it’s portrayed with Carlotta (and how Erik says “Pride” is keeping Christine away from him in WSS and she is dressed all in pink) - BUT in the language of flowers, in Victorian symbolism, the color pink in a rose means “a lesser love” or "gentler love"'- meaning not as intense. This seems to show that Raoul was not Christine’s true deep love. While red in a rose, from the symbolism website, means “love.”

Here the rose is pink - Raoul is there:

(Also note - he never brought her roses and never thought of her as the rose - only Erik did, so the gravestone in the cemetery with roses on it would be something Erik would do, since he thought of her as the rose and that’s how they showed it with these characters.)

But once Raoul leaves and Erik comes - most of the pink roses suddenly disappear, and the roses at the mirror turn white. From symbolism website on roses:
The White Rose stands for innocence and purity, also silence, secrecy, and reverence. Sometimes called the "flower of light," the white rose also means spiritual love and anticipation of happiness. (reverence/honor pertains to royalty - and also theirs was a secret meeting):

~*Music of the Night*~

**A red rose lies atop the drawing of her - perhaps symbolic of showing she is symbolized as the rose (this happens in NOWL too) - and it has a black ribbon around it.

~*Meg in Dressing Room & STYDI*~

**Three places have turned black in the rose. (In Erik's mind, the rose is Christine - from the way he sings to it on rooftop, puts it against his mouth and looks at it in NOWL, etc, and red is the color of the Angel of Music - Erik. So a red rose symbolizes her relationship with Erik. The red is fading, a foreshadowing that their relationship is about to have some big problems, as happens in next scene ...

“3” is the Phantom’s number (shown in later symbolism list), so that seems to show he will be the one responsible since three places on the rose are black. Black in the rose - symbolically speaking - means death. And the phantom spirit is symbolic of the Angel of Death

When Christine leaves the clamshell bed, there is a rose by the head of the Phoenix, and I think that is there in tribute of her.

The organ now has red roses on it - she is also a part of Music - and one is sitting before the bust of the woman with the black veil over her head. (symbolizing Christine - veil means ignorance when over the face in symbolism, and that it’s black could mean she is at this time ignorant of just who the Phantom spirit truly is - as her line “who was that shape in the shadows?” implies)

(Sorry, this is my full screen version, not my wide-screen which I can’t seem to find, but when I do I'll retake the pictures and exchange them since WS version shows more. To the right is the woman’s bust with the rose (symbolizing Christine), next to the bust with the white half mask, (symbolizing Erik, but what the Phantom spirit also hides in) - roses on the organ. In next picture you can see the rose lying in front of it.)

~*Why Have You Brought Me Here?*~

**COMPANION BOOK says:

Notice that she carries the red rose and her cloak is red (Erik’s color). If she were really ready to release Erik, she wouldn’t be carrying his rose. She would have had to put the rose down to put her cloak on, and that means she would have had to pick it up again. She would have left the rose behind if she wanted nothing more to do with him. Not picked it up again. I feel this is proof that her heart bonds are tied to her Angel. Even though she is upset.

P. 106:
“CHRISTINE is running through, backstage, terrified. RAOUL runs towards her, she grabs him. She still grasps the PHANTOM’S rose.
And
after she sings about her time in the lair--P. 107:
CHRISTINE is spellbound by the PHANTOM’S rose. The PHANTOM sees and hears this. He leans back, moved.

She is the rose - it is red - showing she is thinking about Erik and their relationship. And he sees that.

~*All I Ask of You*~

Raoul leads her, much like the Phantom did by one hand, into a patch of light. She drops the flower, as if she’s not even aware of doing it - her face registers her pain and hurt. She is desperate and desires an escape from the darkness … letting go of the flower symbolized letting go of her relationship with Erik.

~*All I Ask of You Reprise*~

Erik walks over to the rose, kneels and picks it up. He sings to it, as if addressing it, because Christine is the rose to him. (he does the same in NOWL)

ERIK: "I gave you my music, made your song take wing ... and now, how you've repaid me, denied me and betrayed me" (all this time he is singing to the rose. Then he looks up for next part.)
"He was bound to love you when he heard you sing!"
[whispered] "Christine ..."

**Erik brings the pure red rose up to his mouth, but as he presses it against his lips, the outside petals blacken.

Erik gets angrier and angrier 'til he CRUSHES THE ROSE, and the petals fall like blood upon the snow. First the blackened ones, then the red ones. She is the rose - he is the red in it - this stands for their relationship.

~*Masquerade*~

Christine is wearing a pink dress (at a black/white/silver/gold masquerade ball) with pink rosebuds, and is wearing pink roses - in her hair, at the back of her gown, and on the right side at her waist. (not the left, Erik’s side). Pink in a rose symbolically means “a lesser love” - and she is with Raoul in this scene, as she is in all of the “pink rose” scenes. She is symbolized as the rose. So this appears to be symbolism to show that Raoul is not her true love, the one she is in love with.
A red rose, in flower symbolism, means - “love.” And that is how the rose appeared when she was in scenes with Erik or singing to/about him.

~*Why So Silent?*~

**ERIK: “No doubt she'll do her best, it's true, her voice is good. She knows, though, should she wish to excel, she has much still to learn, if pride will let her return to me, her teacher ... Her teacher ...”

She’s wearing pink and pink is in the rose at her waist. Just by looking at her, he knows she’s gotten into pride. He views Christine as the rose (sweet, beautiful and the “queen of all flowers” as a symbolism website stated). Pink is also a form of weak red. Red is King’s color - so it fading from the rose seems to mean she is without him or trying to do things without him. In pride. Since he is the spirit of Music, if she is trying to excel on her own, she is doing it without “his glory" - and in pride.

~*No One Would Listen*~

**ERIK: "She saw my loneliness"

Here he picks up the rose and sings to it as he walks, staring at it. Symbolic that he thinks of Christine as the rose.

He smells the rose and sighs, then lays it against his lips and trails it down his chin before setting it on the drawing of Christine in her PONR costume - putting the blossom on top of her. He even rolls it a little to make sure it stays on top of her. More symbolism to show he regards her as the rose, since there was also a rose on top of her picture by his mini stage in MOTN.

Here it is in MOTN:

~*Journey to the Cemetery*~

** There are five roses in this bouquet. 3 black ones, and 2 red ones that are blackening in areas. Three & black = Phantom spirit. Since red is Erik’s color and Christine is the rose, this could be symbolic to show that for three months she felt loss without him because of Phantom spirit trying to interfere when he saw Christine had become his enemy. In her AOM/Wandering Angel song she admitted she was still lonely, so perhaps also wasn’t happy with Raoul. The number - 5 - signifies Erik and Christine as a couple. There are 5 roses. The close-up of the bouquet seems to show that darkness has interfered in their relationship - in slowly trying to “poison their love.” (which he sang in DOM) Close-ups in movies are always important.

**Throughout this song, the roses, symbolizing her, turn back and forth to four red ones - huge and bright - showing to whom a lot of this song was for, and who she is thinking about. (Erik’s number and color - 4 and red - and I’ll show why to both on another symbolism list (s))

back to half black:

And before he makes his intro, they turn to four red again -

In the companion book - there are five red roses - their number together as a couple:

~*Don Juan/ Point of No Return*~

**She’s pulling thorns from the rose . The symbolic meaning for that in the symbols guide on roses: Rosebud with leaves; no thorns -"I fear no longer; I hope" (she is the rose, red is Erik’s color - the red rose a symbol of their relationship - so this shows that she now hopes and no longer fears being with Erik ... I feel it’s because she’s made her choice. (Spanish translations of PONR show this). She looked up at Raoul earlier and he nodded as if it would be all right, but she didn’t acknowledge that nod with a smile or anything. She didn’t want to be there - didn’t want to go through this difficult testing, this “ordeal by fire” that the others have forced her into … but she also doesn’t know Erik will be on the stage with her and take the part of Don Juan. And when he comes onstage, she makes her decision to join him also telling him she wanted no part of the conspiracy, as shown through foreign subtitles that fit with their actions at the time.)

**The red rose in her hair is in full bloom - radiant red - and is worn to the left (Erik’s side - she is the only woman in PONR, except for Meg, that wears the single red rose on her left side - on Meg it could be to show that she’s for Erik/Christine and is in favor of them as a couple, as her smile seems to show when she first sees them on the bridge. While everyone else stares in shock, she’s smiling; she helps them both, and is now dressed like Erik to divert the mob.)

Christine also has red roses on her bodice. (as opposed to the pink roses on her clothes when with Raoul). I think there are five there—her and Erik’s number together.

~*Final Cemetery Scene*~

**Throughout all of movie, though ALL of the women wore necklaces or chokers of some sort - Christine never wore anything except for the crystal ring around her neck during Masquerade. Which I felt was for protection (since crystals symbolize that and are used that way in fantasies and this is a fantasy) and also to show she was from the light. In the cemetery, during what looked like her bridal march, she had a black scarf around her neck, but at no other time in main movie did she wear anything around her neck. I believe it was so we could catch on to the message at the end: Roses adorn her grave, and Christine being the rose as Erik thought of her and as symbolism showed - wears a black ribbon around her neck, showing to whom she belonged and who was her master - Erik.

**The words PORTRAIT OF CHRISTINE are underlined and capped in companion book - showing it’s important. In those days, older women wore ribbons as a device to hold a cameo, brooch etc. I don’t think they would have just put a ribbon around their neck - I believe this was a bit of ending symbolism to show who Christine belonged to and whom she married.

**COMPANION BOOK has these words underlined and capped:

He begins to turn away, when something catches his eye. Although the film remains BLACK AND WHITE - IN VIVID COLOR A SINGLE RED ROSE lies at the foot of the monument, with a BLACK RIBBON. RAOUL’S face pales as the mystery continues ... for as the camera ZOOMS SLOWLY to the RED ROSE ... we see THE RING that CHRISTINE gave the PHANTOM years ago. IT SPARKLES ON THE STEM.

That last sentence of the script could be there to show the way it sparkles - and another clue that it means light/illumination and is symbolic of both Christine and Erik as part of that light. The day is cloudy and it should not be sparkling as it is doing. The rose is redder than ever before - (red his color, the rose Christine - so all of it meaning their relationship - and if it's more colorful, that to me means they had they fulfillment of it - marriage - symbolizing their relationship and love remained and grew even stronger. (Again, when the rose was pink, it symbolized Raoul, and pink meant a lesser love symbolically in flower language for roses - which again shows that her deep love was Erik, and is another clue they married.)[/size]

If anyone can think of anything I missed, please feel free to chime in! :rose: I skim all the scene summaries for everything, but I can easily miss something!
I did miss four things on Erik as King symbolism that I found while i was doing this, but I put them in that list last night…I imagine we’ll always find things overlooked--LOL--there was so much symbolism used for each idea throughout movie!
Image E/C manip made by me
honeyphan

Return to Board index

Return to Hidden Plot